Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Driving Concerns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm 22 and I don't have a license. I've never even been behind the wheel before.. sad but true. I know I should take my written exam soon and learn how to drive but I am actually pretty nervous about it. I'm scared of driving and getting into an accident, especially hurting people. I can be a klutz most of the time and I have hit tables and doorways even though I thought I was paying attention. I also don't trust any of the people that drive around my neighborhood. A lot of them seem like reckless drivers. As a pedestrian, I find myself sometimes scared when walking or crossing the street. Yes it's true - stop laughing! :p But seriously, now that I've typed this out, I don't think I wanna learn how to drive.
It really isn't a whole lot to worry about. Driving is actually alot of fun! The problem I find is, yes, there are alot of stupid drivers out there, but if you know how to drive safely, you shouldn't have a problem. If I were you, after you take your drivers tests, take a defensive driving course. It will help you learn how to deal with aggressive drivers and what to do in certain situations (it also helps with insurance costs, believe it or not). Alot of the time, a person is completely different when they get behind the wheel of a car. You may find that your clutzy nature disappears when you drive. Just have someone take you late some night to a huge parking lot, like in a mall area and drive around a bit. That way, there are no cars around and there are small little roads you can use to help you learn how to deal with turns, stops and accelleration. Have fun with it!
Don't worry about not having a license at 22. I didn't get mine till I was ehhhhhhhh 24 or 25? I had no need to since I'd always been driven around until I moved to LA.
Basically I hate driving coz of the traffic in LA. I can fall asleep admist the traffic line.
I dislike driving also because like what ladysilverice stated, there are a lot of stupid drivers around. I'm not saying that I'm a good driver, I have bad days too. I just hate it when so many drivers cut in front of me when there's only half a car space b/w the car in front and my car.
Nina, not sure about ur area, but if you are a small female driver, hehehe..u tend to get bullied a lot on the roads :p Big Grin by male drivers.
Generally, I'm pretty mild tempered. However, when those stinking drivers rub me off in the wrong way, I'm very aggressive. Let's just say, I'd rather they hit me from behind than me hitting them. Big Grin Wink :p
learn etiquette and try and pick up the un-written rules of driving.

Being an aggressive driver is not a bad thing. I, personally, cannot stand most of the people in the suburbs around me. There are too many assholes that do obnoxious things, too many old people that drive slow, too many people who just can't accelerate. In fact, while we were stopped in front of a train, I try and make a left turn, but decide to get back in the driving lane in order to make a right turn. EVeryone is stopped, I maneuver my way to go forward and some jackass cuts me off so that the can be at the front of the line. Then, of course, they're at the front of the line and they won't fucking accelerate! It's like they're accelerating at 1 mph/s!! The person on the right side was slow as well. I can't stand when these people just don't fucking move!

Anyways, everyone gets nervous when they start driving. You are driving a 1-2 ton projectile. However, after a few months of regular driving you get really good at it.

PS - learn to drive a manual transmission. You have a LOT more things to do at once when you drive that and it ultimately makes you a MUCH BETTER DRIVER. I am far more alert and know my car much better over driving an auto.
Quote:Originally posted by ladysilverice
Alot of the time, a person is completely different when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Not me. I remember when I first learned to drive, someone could be like 50 or 100 feet in front of me and get in my lane without signaling and I'd be like 'He cut me off!!!' and then I'd proceed to speed up and cut them back off.

Kakomu, I hate that. That's why I don't let anyone get in front of me if I can at all help it. I'm probably one of the most aggressive drivers. But I'm agressive in a good way and not in a 'let me change lanes about 8 times so that I can get ahead about 2 carlengths' type of way.

But if someone is in the left lane on the highway going too slow and holding up an entire line of peole, I will speed up and cut them off pretty badly hoping they take the hint that they need to get the fuck out of that lane.
Vicious, I did the same thing a few years ago, but the person intentionally rear ended me when I did that and then started a verbal fight with me when we stopped. She didn't have insurance I ended up having to pay for the damage, and my insurance premium went up. Not a cool day for me alittle impatient with a slow driver

Vicious, I did the same thing a few years ago, but the person intentionally rear ended me when I did that and then started a verbal fight with me when we stopped. She didn't have insurance I ended up having to pay for the damage, and my insurance premium went up. Not a cool day for me alittle impatient with a slow driver

I don't care. I'll still continue to do it. And if they don't have insurance, I'll still get their information so I can go toss some gasoline on their car later and torch the motherfucker. That'll show them for not having insurance and trying to hit me.