Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime with swearing = BEST
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know if you guy watch this:

I watch "Abenobashi Magic Shopping Street" (look like lil kiddy anime but its not) and they got the most swearing and funniest shit ever... the EXTRA 'take out' was funny as hell...

anyway.. was wondering if there more anime out there that have swearing intack (dubbed)....
I have watched a lot of Excel Saga dubbed and there is an occasional f-bomb, and other swearing. But, it is by no means rampant. If you like cussing, you should check out the 'Battle Royale' manga. Outrageous stuff...Wink (it isn't real funny though, if that is what you are looking for...)
What most people don't know is that the Japanese language itself actually contains very few, if any, swear words or phrases. Usually, it's the translations (eg: subs or english dub) that make it seem like swearing is taking place, to make it more appealing to English readers. The Japanese language is very polite in general, and when people get rude, it's usually nothing worth sneezing at, especially if you bother to translate the literal meanings of what is being said. In terms of vulgarity and offensiveness, the Japanese language is nothing compared to the English language, or any other Anglo-based language.

I remember a teacher telling me this, when I asked her the meaning behind a couple rude-sounding terms I had heard in Japanese. I remember her laughing, but it was a valuable lesson.
Hellsing and Urotsukidoji has swearing but not much. Akira and Ninja Scroll aswell if I rember correct. Probably lots of hentai shows aswell.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
What most people don't know is that the Japanese language itself actually contains very few, if any, swear words or phrases. Usually, it's the translations (eg: subs or english dub) that make it seem like swearing is taking place, to make it more appealing to English readers.

I Agree! Tis True
If you're looking for crude humour then you might want to check out the Ping Pong Club videos. They are the Japanese equivalent of South Park.
Saiyuki, especially the dubbed version... and they totally change Hakkai's character in the dubbed version to someone who cusses every other word and is totally mean, very unlike the Japanese subbed version of his character being nice and polite throughout the entire series!! Course we expect this from Sanzo (chain smoking, cussing monk) and Goyjo (chain smoking, cussing, girl chasing half demon) but not from Goku (youngest looking, although in reality is not young at all).
Now, that's what I call butchering of a character. People who make the decision to do such a thing should be shot, stabbed, and pulled in four simultaneous directions by wild stallions.
When it comes to to swearing in anime. I have mentioned in a review I did for Outlaw Star that I always let my little brother who is 12 watch alot of anime with me I pick up. I am not to hot on the PG stuff in a regular anime. Though When it is not over the top like a Obscene drunk swearing. God example the dubed version of Trigun avg one swear word an episode. I think they should just list on the boxs when this is the case so we don't unintentionally let little ears hear and in some cases see also

____________________________________-
I said I was a preacher, I never said I was a good one
D.Wolfwood
By far the funniest and best is the old Cyber City Oedo 808 dub by US Manga Corps. Some examples follow:

"You wouldn't know a god damn vampire if it bit you on your fucking dick"

"Ahhhhh for fuck's sake"

F-bombs run rampant.

Manga Video threw a lot of swears in as well. My all time favorite comes from the dubbed Devilman OAV.

"I'm going to rip off your head, and shit down your neck"

Trust me, that wasn't in the US Renditions version. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie
Manga Video threw a lot of swears in as well.

They allways wanted thier stuff to seem really adult so picked the more violent titles and threw in swear words etc... Thats why I dont really like them as they gave anime a bad name back in the day here in the uk...
You could try Steel Angel Kurumi. The bulk of the swear words are spoken by Karinka. The voice actor did a good job and made me laugh.
Quote:Originally posted by Amethyst
Saiyuki, especially the dubbed version... and they totally change Hakkai's character in the dubbed version to someone who cusses every other word and is totally mean, very unlike the Japanese subbed version of his character being nice and polite throughout the entire series!!

I just finished watching the last disc for the series, and I don't remember him cursing very much at all. Hakkai was portrayed as being overly polite and the only one out of the group with any manners.

Quote:Originally posted by grendelsage
You could try Steel Angel Kurumi. The bulk of the swear words are spoken by Karinka. The voice actor did a good job and made me laugh.

That's because she was played by the best VA out there . . . Hilary Haag. :o
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
What most people don't know is that the Japanese language itself actually contains very few, if any, swear words or phrases. Usually, it's the translations (eg: subs or english dub) that make it seem like swearing is taking place, to make it more appealing to English readers. The Japanese language is very polite in general, and when people get rude, it's usually nothing worth sneezing at, especially if you bother to translate the literal meanings of what is being said. In terms of vulgarity and offensiveness, the Japanese language is nothing compared to the English language, or any other Anglo-based language.

I remember a teacher telling me this, when I asked her the meaning behind a couple rude-sounding terms I had heard in Japanese. I remember her laughing, but it was a valuable lesson.

You don't really have any idea what you're talking about do you? Suggesting there may not even be any swear words in Japanese? Sorry, but I have a lot of Japanese friends that say very different. Trust me, I hear them all the time....
Do you speak Japanese? How would you know just by hearing that they're swearing? Either way, I trust my Japanese teacher's opinion more than yours.
Pages: 1 2