Import Anime Forums

Full Version: If you had to choose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you had to choose between anime or manga which would you choose? Personally I would choose manga after scrutinizing over it for a while it came out on top 8O 8O 8O
I would definitly choose anime, the benefits of visual stimulation and bright colours!! :mrgreen:
but manga has it's advantages
anime! Big Grin
Anime
-------

Manga can be really good at times, but I just can't get into it as much as anime. No music, no voices, no sound fx, etc.

After watching Berserk I went back and read through alot of the manga.. and even though it was very similar (sometimes identical) I just didn't feel as drawn into the experience. The sound track and Japanese voices really helped to flesh out the characters.

Although, there are other times that I prefer the manga to the anime.. <cough> Love Hina OVA. Not like the OVA sucked, but it was NOTHING compared to the Manga. The LH TV series stayed fairly close to the manga, but the OVA... OMG, what happened?!?!? They had enough awesome content to EASILY pull of a second series and they chose to make a 3 epi OVA?? C'mon, what were they thinking!

The second series would have been even better than the first... <sigh>

Anyway, I choose Anime. Wink

PS: Please make this a poll.
I've been drawn into more manga than I have Anime.
Letting the stories have an open amount of time and less interferance from sponsors lets manga creators remain more true to the original idea.

When anime is done right, I can't ask for more. Unfortunately, so much anime leaves so much to be desired.

For titles that have made the transition between mediums here's my opinions on the one's I've seen
Area 88 - Fantastic manga / hollow anime
Lone Wolf & Cub - Incredible manga / decent movies
Golgo 13 - close call between the manga and anime
Crying Freeman - Excellent manga / first episode rocked then big downhill
Nausicaa - Amazing manga / Great movie but not as deep as the manga
Memories - Decent manga / Amazing Movie
Berserk - Wonderful manga / Great anime but not enough of the story
Sanctuary - One of the best manga ever written / weak and shallow anime

Overall, I'd rather read the manga.
If it can be done right and finish the story, I'd rather see the anime.

The other thing is manga is way more portable, doesn't need power, less expensive, and has a greater variety than anime.
I've never really read that much manga. I definately prefer anime. Though I really enjoy Urusei Yatsura manga. Way too much fun for one person. :mrgreen:
I think a big part of it has to do with the fact that I've been reading manga since the first release of Lone Wolf and Cub came out.

Every Wednesday I'm down at my local comic shop and I pick up my weekly fix. I don't even want to think of how much I've spent on comics since I started buying them back in '78. I really miss having Pulp on the stands, it was the only real source of adult manga that wasn't straight hentai.
I might change my mind if I ever read more Manga but for now anime is at the top of my list!!!
I just have to find some good manga's!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anime just packs more emotion, thanks to music, voice acting, and timing. Things just have more of an element of suprise. Plus action coreography is better (Cowboy Bebop) and extended akwards pauses (Maison Ikkoku).
ANIME :twisted:
Amen. Though I don't think it's evil. :mrgreen:
I started with Lone Wolf and Cub as well that made me want to learn Japanese now I dont read manga in english. Plus manga introduced me to the world of anime. I love them both but I like manga more it is how the author originally wanted I mean has anyone seen the dragonball anime there is no bigger atrosity look at all the filler episodes 8O 8O
I can see what your saying. Can you read Japanese?
Hai soo desu zo ( yes is so w/masculine particle zo) I had to teach myself but it was worth it! It is frustrating, but not as much as most say. It is worth giving a try. 8O 8O 8O
Reading Japanese is crazy. I told you about my brother's friend. She went crazy and had a nervous break down. She had to miss a year of school, all because of Japanese. I might try and find a night class to take later in life.

My Chinese friend can't read Chinese, though he speaks fluent Cantonese.