Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Computer Geeks needed!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay I'm planning on buying a new computer soon. Okay now here's the question I'm planning to download a lot of stuff from the Internet. Let's say I want to down load a bunch of Naruto episodes and burn stuff on both on a CD burner and a DVD burner. What amount of GB hard-drive should I get a regular 40 GB or 80GB? Any help would be appreaciated.Smile
As big as you could possible afford.

I find my two 60 gig hard drives severely lacking theses days.
So 40 GB wouldn't be enough? Is it possible to have seprate GB's in a computer. Let's say I buy a new GB that's a 80 GB would it be possible for a computer to have a new GB with the already existing one? This is the product I'm thinking of buying.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getpr...rid=395977

Is a good GB? Can you recommend me a good GB?
I think you mean HD not GB....HD stands for Hard Drive and GB for Giga Byte which is the size.....And yes you can have more then one.....You can have any combination of up to 4 HD's/CD drives. I'd suggest you look for a HD with an 8MB Cache size....the one in your link only has a 2MB cache. The WD800JB is the same drive as the one in the link except with the 8MB cache
Quote:Originally posted by link97381
I think you mean HD not GB....HD stands for Hard Drive and GB for Giga Byte which is the size.....And yes you can have more then one.....You can have any combination of up to 4 HD's/CD drives. I'd suggest you look for a HD with an 8MB Cache size....the one in your link only has a 2MB cache. The WD800JB is the same drive as the one in the link except with the 8MB cache

Okay um why would a 8MB be better than a 2MB cache?
Well Naruto eps are like 170mb so just get whatever you can afford but 40GB is prob the min for future use!
But definately get a DVDburner not CD coz then you'll have to have a gizzilion CDr instead of a handfull of DVDr for the 90+ Naruto's
Caches are important for speed on a hard drive. Especially now that we're dealing with larger file sizes and larger hard drives.

80GB is the smallest hard drive I've seen for sale lately. 120GB is closer to the average size. I'm running with my old 20GB drive and two 80s to fill up with stuff.

The crazyness is that I'm finding that I want a larger drive yet. I just shot over 2GB worth of photos this weekend and I'm not likely to delete any of them. I have over 60GB of photos alone on my hard drives. Even though I've backed most of them up on DVD-Rs I still like having them handy for projects I work on.

You can never have too much space on your hard drive or too much RAM on your motherboard. Bigger is always better in both areas.
The bigger the better. Im struggling with 180 GB. The more you have the more you seem to need... I used to have a 12 GB back in the day lol (not even that long ago lol!)... If you have a DVD burner you will want more so you can rip dvds and edit them etc... Just get the biggest you can always add another as you go along...
What GHZ speed should I buy to be able to handle CD's burning and DVD burning plus I'm getting DSL. Right now I'm thinking of buying a 2.4 GHZ - 2.7 Ghz PC. Or does speed doesn't matter?
CPU speed doesn't really matter for burning DVDs unless you plan on burning them 2 at the same time.

I've burnt hundreds of DVDs with my 700mhz Celeron no problems at all.
Quote:Originally posted by matthewmalay
CPU speed doesn't really matter for burning DVDs unless you plan on burning them 2 at the same time.

I've burnt hundreds of DVDs with my 700mhz Celeron no problems at all.

Should I buy a DVD & CD burner combo? Or should I buy them seperately? How fast does a 4X DVD-R burner take to burn lets say a two hour movie, should I rather buy a 8X DVD-R burner even though I will be paying more but I will burning stuff quicker.
Almost all DVD burners can also burn CD.

It takes about 15 minutes to burn a DVD-R at 4X at full capacity. So I guess around 8 minutes at 8X