Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Help on decision (Outlaw, sCRYed, Key,...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.

I'm trying to decide which anime series to buy. Based on the reviews I've read and on what is available here, I'm considering the following:

Outlaw Star
sCRYed
Key, the Metal Idol
Martian Succesor Nadesico
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Ayashi No Ceres

I'm looking for an anime that I can watch a chapter each night before I go to bed, so I don't want anything too heavy or phsychological, but I don't want anything too goofy either. A little bit of everything would be fine: plot, interesting characters, some action, some romance ...

I'm also considering Escaflowne, but that schoolgirl goes to another world thing puts me off.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
For my two cents, I'd say sCRYed. It's quickly become my favorite action series... and the characters are just phenomenal. Definitely a good show if you're planning on watching an episode a night or something like that... nothing deep about it... just great action, comedy, and character designs.

That's just my two cents, though. Wink
I second sCRYed i am loving every second of it
I have to recommend Scryed also. I remember watching it a few years back on fansub, and didn't like it much the first time. But after watching it again a year later, I was ready to smack myself in the head, wondering 'what the hell was I thinking the first time?'. Now I also own the FX set, and I am no less impressed by this series, for it's excellent animation, and fantastic Japanese main character voice acting (Hoshi Souchirou does a FANTASTIC job as Kazuma, now THIS is a prime reason of why I watch Japanese dub over English).
i would also recomend it !
S-cry-ed and outlaw star are two of my favorite anime titles of all time now ! those are my choices. i just finished S-cry-ED its so awesome the story is so origional and done by the the best studio out there Sunrise (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Gundam seed) get that title and then outlaw star.

enjoy them both.

-LE
I have to go the s-CRY-ed, Outlaw Star way too. If you are watching an episode a night i'd go with outlaw star personally. s-CRY-ed really got me into it and I wouldn't have been able to stand one episode a night lol.
I wouldn't put off Escaflowne too fast because of the schoolgirl thing. It really isn't a series like that. It took about 7-8 episodes for me to really get into it, but once I did it was REALLY cool. Great fights, intense story, very serious and cool. I think it is kind of heavy, has great battles and action, romance, but it isn't by any means goofy.

I haven't seen s-cry-ed, but I have heard nothing but praise about it since the FX set came out and I am definately going to get it in my next order.
Escaflowne is a CLASSIC, in a league of its own. It's my opinion that many of the series made at that time (mid 1990s) are to this day some of the finest, with Escaflowne being one of them. Definitely pick it up along with, or before, anyone of the other titles you have suggested.
Thanks for the replies!

I guess the winners are sCRYed and Outlaw Star, which were the ones that seemed more interesting to me from the beginning.

But now Vandread (the first season) is also available, so I guess I'll have to consider that one also Big Grin.

Regarding Escaflowne, I've heard very good things about it, but I guess what also alienated me was the movie, which I already saw and didn't like. I've heard that the series is much better, but it'll have to wait until the bad impression from the movie wears off Wink
Quote:Originally posted by naugem
Regarding Escaflowne, I've heard very good things about it, but I guess what also alienated me was the movie, which I already saw and didn't like. I've heard that the series is much better, but it'll have to wait until the bad impression from the movie wears off Wink

The movie is soooo lame. I luckily saw the TV series first. All of my anime watching friends said to avoid the film like the plague. I did end up watching part of it at an anime club.
OUTLAW STAR. I watch both the movie and the series for escaflowne, i didn't mind either of them
Judging by what you have said i would personally say give nadesico a go, as in my opinion it matches all your needs and it certainly doesn't require to much attention to get the best out of it and it also has plenty of good characters in it, i was also thinking about getting scryed myself and was in the same boat of wondering what to do with it. Finally i have to say that i personally really liked escaflowne, at first i was thinking that it wasn't as special as all the reviews had said and the next minute i'd reached episode 12 or something so it goes by real fast unlike lain which almosts killed me.... look at me thinking am some kind ofd pro with my one poxy post.

edit 'ave just seen that your considering vandread and i have to say that its easily one of my favourites - watched the bleedin' thing in no time, well good show and it takes its self slightly more seriously than nadesico without taking anymore effort to watch
Scryed and Samurai Deeper Kyo, no doubt about it. And after seeing Samurai Deeper Kyo, check it's manga version. it's worth the time.
Read the manga of Samurai Deeper Kyo, then save yourself the time by AVOIDING the anime (which was awful and butchered in comparison).
escaflowne the seris is so much diffrent then the movie the story and all the aspects of it ! i saw the series first and then the movie. the movie is way more detailed but the series has a better telling of the story. also it was done by Sunrise (one of there first anime titles) !

if your looking for a good comedy :
Love Hina, His and Her Circomstances, Chobits, I My Me Strawberry Eggs, Vandred, flcl, Please Teacher.

-LE
Pages: 1 2