Import Anime Forums

Full Version: kung fu movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what are some kung fu movies you'd recommend?
Go to amazon and do a search on bruce lee, brandon lee, jackie chan.
What sort of Kung Fu movies are you looking for?
There is a decent selection available here on this site but it helps to know what you're looking for.

Most of Jackie Chan's movies are excellent fun to watch but they tend to be lighthearted and fun in nature. You can find some of his earlier stuff really cheap at Wal-Mart. Those can be fun to watch but they don't hold up to his newer stuff. One of my favourite Jackie Chan movies is Who Am I? because of its balance of fun and action.

Sammo Hung is an incredible martial artist and choreographer and has been in a huge number of movies. His movies end up playing on his weight (he's on the heavy side when compared to other actors in his genre) which can get tiring. Magnificent Butcher is easily one of his best movies.

Any of the "Babycart" movies are fun to watch. This is a classic series that parallels the manga Lone Wolf and Cub. Great sword action and creative choreography for the time... these are available here on the site. Shogun Assassin is a single movie that edits most of the Babycart movies into one short movie. The story gets mangled but you get to see most of the cool fight scenes (also available on this site).

Jet Li is another famous martial artist. About half way through his career he had a major back injury that has limited his abilities since. His newer movies have better production values but his earlier movies are more astounding to watch. Check out Fong Sai Yuk for a real treat or Shaolin Temple to see his debut movie... both available here. I haven't seen A Man Called Hero yet but I've been hearing good things about it.

For choreography, I don't think anyone is better than Yuen Wo Ping. He's been made famous by directing the action scenes in the Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but he had an incredible career before that. Check out Dreadnaught, Iron Monkey, or Wing Chun to see some of the best action ever commited to film. Wing Chun start Michelle Yeoh who is another superstar of Kung Fu and is available on this site.

There are a bunch more great movies out there. It just depends on if you're looking for fun, gory, serious, modern, historical, or fantasy in your movie.

Have fun getting into the HK scene. There is some great stuff waiting to be watched.