Import Anime Forums

Full Version: virused DVDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has anyone caught a computer virus from a HK DVD? just wondering cause I haven't played any on my puter cause I am paranoid.:eek: Please hold back your sarcasm.
DVDs don't and can't contain executable programs that can cause a virus. Some will have DVD Rom content, but that's different. Don't worry about it.
cool thanks for the info man. someone told me you could get virii from a DVD just wanted to know if any of you guys ever got one.
Quote:Originally posted by tsunami
cool thanks for the info man. someone told me you could get virii from a DVD just wanted to know if any of you guys ever got one.

you can get a virus from a DVD in the same way you can get a virus from anything else. If you're too stupid to open foreign EXE files.
Well I don't open forgein EXEs but many virii and trojans get open systems through an automated service. Thats all I was thinking about.
Well I don't open forgein EXEs but many virii and trojans get open systems through an automated service. Thats all I was thinking about.

only if they don't update windows. Really, those DVDs are old enough that any popular virus that could infect your system would have already been captured, diagnosed and MS would have releaesd a patch for it.
nope no problems yet.
i dont think they can hold or carry viruses .

so dont worry.

worry about downloading anime or games. they carry alot of viruses my friend lost his whole computer to one a few weeks ago.

watch out !

-LE
Quote:Originally posted by Last Exile
nope no problems yet.
i dont think they can hold or carry viruses .

so dont worry.

worry about downloading anime or games. they carry alot of viruses my friend lost his whole computer to one a few weeks ago.

watch out !

-LE

AHAHAHAHHA, I dont have to worry about viruses because I have all my games and anime on diffrent partitions of my hard-drive. That way, if I do get one, I just wipe windows, but everything else is safe.
has anyone caught a computer virus from a HK DVD? just wondering cause I haven't played any on my puter cause I am paranoid.:eek: Please hold back your sarcasm.

Hehehe...just wondering why do you want to watch DVD on the computer when you have a TV and a dvd player? :confused: :p
I only test HK dvds on the computer only if they don't load in the dvd players. So far, after testing couple of them, computer still seems fine *TOUCHWOOD*

But i'm glad that you brought this up coz b4 I'd only thought that you could only get a virus via cds/cd-rs.
Actually, I dont even have a dvd drive on my comp. I wish i did though.
Until I figure out how to get screen shots for my reviews from my home unit, I will continue to play DVDs in my computer.

I'm not quite sure how many reviews I'm up to yet but I know I've played a lot of DVDs so far and have never experienced any problems with virii.

Media files on their own can't infect your computer (I think that's been said). So go crazy and play any DVD you want on your computer. Just be wary of unexpected files like EXE BAT PIC or DOC (yeah... Word documents can contain some crazy stuff).
having multiple partitions usually won't stop viruses, if you have one on your hard drive it affects the entire drive, the partition doesn't stop it. some viruses attack your memory and some can hide in your cmos even if you reformat the entire drive. tricky bastards
Quote:Originally posted by -spike-
AHAHAHAHHA, I dont have to worry about viruses because I have all my games and anime on diffrent partitions of my hard-drive. That way, if I do get one, I just wipe windows, but everything else is safe.

That's like saying you seperate all your precious items in your house into different boxes, so a thief won't be able to steal them all when he breaks into your house.
Quote:Originally posted by DarkKnightBob
That's like saying you seperate all your precious items in your house into different boxes, so a thief won't be able to steal them all when he breaks into your house.

or you're all a bunch of idiots and you need to realize that just because you have virus files doesn't mean they will run. Virus files are dormant and totally harmless unless they're accessed or run, just like spyware. I have a gator installation on my computer, but it does nothing since it's not being run. If you have some dlls or exes lying around that are infected, so long as you don't run them or have someone remotely run them, then you aren't going to be infected! If you partition a seperate part of your HD for your OS, then if you get infected, all you need to do is format the OS partition, then reinstall. Your OS is virus free, and any infected files in the OS would have been wiped clean. Any infected files on the other part of the partition aren't going to infect your computer unless you run them, or leave your computer vulnerable enough to have them run remotely.

I swear man, most of you have no idea what a Virus does or how it accomplishes it's tasks.
I just asked this cause I wanted to know if it had happen to anyone before I played them to take screenshots.