Import Anime Forums

Full Version: What does Sempai mean ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have been hearing it in alot of animes most recently in Chobits. the girl at the resturant call him that and a few other animes that i cnat remember also say that to guys .

does it mean boyfriend ? lover?

tell me damnit !

:eek:

-LE
it more like elder

someone you respect!
why the hell was he blushing over that !
i was thinking lover cause he always freaks and his nose always bleeds.

thanks Rav96
lol

-LE
coz its a very good respectfull complement to your senior

not too mention some of the situations that chii was in

Wink
Semapi means mentor or someone that you look up to. I asked my japanese teacher and thats what she told me.
Usually someone in a grade higher than you.
It's basically anyone who's older and more experienced than you that's doing the same thing as yourself, whether it be in school or work. The most obvious situation is as mentioned, a senior in school who's older than you. Kohai is the opposite of sempai.
thanks every one!
does any one know if they have a program to learn japanese like they have the discs for french on the computer ? i want to knwo if there is such a thing for japanese. i really want to lear for a couple of reasons !

let me know if any of you know of anything !

thanks .

-LE
I assume you were originally refering to Chobits. Remember what Hideki was doing when Yumi was talking to him. she refered to her breasts and from then on Hideki was all flustered when talking to her. It's been a while, but that's what i remember.

Also, Hideki just sucks at talking to females.
It's also a more formal way to say sir/mam...as in "san". Osamu-san is a general use...Osamu-sempai is more formal. That's in use that I am talking about..You guys are correct in definition as well though.Wink
Sempai is basically a honorific additive that you can put on someone's name. In a romantic setting sempai can be considered "master" to some degree. Yes, LE there is a couple of programs that teach japanese through you listening. I have one but I learned way more from a book with anime and manga to teach me.
Quote:Originally posted by tsunami
honorific additive

Such as the lovely act of BUkkakeWink
good one Rav!