Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Hikaru no Go manga vs anime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just finished watching the HnG anime and wondering how much of the manga (volume ?) is covered by the anime?

The ending of the anime is not too satisfactory for me.

Thanks.
I actually prefer the ending to the anime compared to the manga. The manga finished too abruprtly and suddenly.

I remember at the end of episode 75 during the ending credits of the anime they did a very quick summary of material they didn't get a chance to get to in the anime that was presented much more in-depth in the manga.

The HnG special ended with the qualification matches to see who would represent Japan in the Hokuto North Star cup so there is still the training for the Hokuto cup part and the Hokuto tournament itself that was lefted out of the anime (hopefully we'll get more specials)

Also some of the extra side stories in volume 18 of the manga didn't make it to the anime.

Apart from that the anime stuck to the manga very closely.
I read that Sai left Hikaru at volume 15.

I've also seen the HnG spring special and am wondering about the Hokuto North Star Cup tournament. Is it a great arc?

Does the manga contain any Go lesson?

I really like HnG anime so is it worth to get the HnG manga?

BTW I'm watchiing HxH TV at the moment. It's another fantastic series. Is the manga better too (atleast covers the HxH G I final)?

Thanks.
Quote:Does the manga contain any Go lesson?

The US Shonen Jump has a Go lesson between chapters. I don't know if there were any Go lessons in the Japanese "Jump", or in the Japanese and (upcoming) US tankobans.
Sure the manga is worth it if you enjoyed the anime but just don't expect a great ending even though it goes a bit further than the anime.

Yeah, Sai left somewhere around volume 15, anyways the anime was exactly the same as the manga at that point and the anime only lefted out some parts of the manga at the end, probably due to time constraints.

I didn't care much for the Hokuto arc, some parts were pretty amusing but IMO the series just wasn't as good after Sai disappeared.

I've read the scans of HnG and I've been getting the french graphic novels, got up to volume 8, soon to be 9 Smile. So far no real lessons in the french version except for some real basic stuff, at most there are some articles about the status of Go in France.
Thanks for the replies ;-)
How were you guys able to finish the manga series? I followed ToriyamaWorld's translation until HikaGo got licensed. A real shame too, there was only a volume or two left before it was finishied. I can't remember how many chapters TW managed to translate before they stopped, I'm guessing maybe around 130 or something.

I've only seen episodes 1-26 in the anime, and it follows the manga pretty closely... but how does it end on 75? I don't mind getting spoilers, since I've read a large amount of the manga.
Some other groups translated the rest of the manga. I don't really know who did translated them as I got it from DC++.

Spoilers

Episode 75 is around the beginning of volume 19 of the manga. Right after Shindo and Akira played each other and then there was the scene where they are palying each other Touya Meijins Go Salon and start arguing over little things. Then Shindo has a dream where he sees Sai. Then in a match some 3rd dan player proclaims Shindo as the best 1st dan player ever, the last 5 or so minutes are a quick summary of the upcoming parts in the manga.