Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Help!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I own a Playstation 2 PAL and for some reason my HK dvds play in black and white (in green if I'm using an RGB cable). I know it's not my PS2's problem because the same thing happens in my boyfriend's PS2. The HK dvds are region 0 so I really don't understand why they don't play correctly. The only way I can make the dvds play in colour is by using Gameshark or Action Replay. Does anyone here know why the HK dvds don't play correctly?
The dvd's are in NTSC format. With normal dvd players you can select the output singal to be PAL or NTSC but not with the PS2. You either need a standalone player or a tv which can handle the NTSC format(you probably have an old or cheap tv now since most new tv's can play any format). I would go to the store and pick me up a nice cheap player of arround $50 and your problems will forever be solved. There's also a larger chance that HKDVD's won't be read by a ps2 since its not a good dvd player. Also your ps2 will breakdown if you use it as a dvd-player to often so getting a standalone would be a good idea regardless. (there have been alot of threads/posts about ps2's lately so if you want to know more about the ps2 dvd-player you can do a search on the forums).

Good luck!!
Hi,

Thanks for replying.
My tv does handle the NTSC format, in fact I have two AV channels, one for PAL and another for NTSC. The problem is they both play the HK dvds in b&w. Fortunately I have other dvd players but in certain situations the PS2 ends up being a better choice. Well, I guess there's nothing I can do so I might as well just let it be.
Make sure you are doing the following:
using scart cable
plug directly into your tv

If that does not work you can get one of those ntsc to pal signal converters.
::cough:: use a normal standalone dvd player and not ps2 ::cough::
Quote:use a normal standalone dvd player and not ps2

I agree on this one -- what we're trying to say is that while European PS2 players can play R0 DVDs, they can only handle PAL color, resulting in a black-and-white picture when NTSC DVDs are played, regardless of whether or not your TV can handle both PAL and NTSC.

Because of this, you'll need a standalone DVD player -- many of these can play NTSC DVDs on PAL TVs in color, and vice-versa for us yanks who want to watch European DVDs on our NTSC TVs.
Quote:Originally posted by rugrats1
I agree on this one -- what we're trying to say is that while European PS2 players can play R0 DVDs, they can only handle PAL color, resulting in a black-and-white picture when NTSC DVDs are played, regardless of whether or not your TV can handle both PAL and NTSC.

This is actualy not true. My PAL PS2 plays hkdvd's in perfect color on my 100Hz television. But my brother's PAL ps2 plays them in black and white on his cheap 50Hz television. I use the standard cable supplied by sony when you buy the machine and its fully original, not modded. The only difference with me and my brothers ps2 is that my TV is better. I even have it hooked up on my VCR for lack of ports in my tv. Maybe my VCR does something with the immage?