Import Anime Forums

Full Version: In general terms of quality, should a 26 episode series be put on 3 or 4 Discs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I Just curios as what the general consenus is to the question posted. In my experience 4 discs had better quality than 3 Discs set. There are some other factors but I still wonder about the general consensus of the question.
I personaly have never found a problem other than with X, & that's because of faulty disc, & therefore makes no marks against 3 discs. In fact I'd say that my 3 disc sets have less quality problems than my Trigun 6 disc, which was excelent.
The RahXephon 4 disc set contains 24 episodes and is immaculate in terms of quality.
Quote:Originally posted by buffgod
I Just curios as what the general consenus is to the question posted. In my experience 4 discs had better quality than 3 Discs set. There are some other factors but I still wonder about the general consensus of the question.

Although I know little of the MPEG compression process, common sense dictates that the less compression used, the higher the video quality should be. However, other factors, like CBR vs. VBR, and the encoding job itself, influence the quality of the video on compressed HK sets.
I have no problem with three disks, I have a couple sets that have nothing wrong at all and its a set of three.
3 discs will do, but id rather have 4 and perfect R1 quality, sure whats $7? barely even a pack of smokes!
4 but i like the price for 3 at this site.
the quailty is alot better on a 4 disc set cause the episodes are stuffed on 3 discs.

-LE
it comes down to cost or quality, which ever you prefer. better quality with four discs but costs more. it doesn't matter to me personally, as long as the discs aren't botched
I think on this one you really just have to trust the reviews. Disc count is a factor, but look at Bubblegum Crisis 2040. It has 5 discs for 26 eps and it still sucks. (So the reviews say.)
i think it all depends if its a R-2 rip cause if it is the quality is the same as a 4 disc set. a good example of this is the dbz mi dvds the quality on them is awesome!! then look at the mac version the difference is night and day..

4 discs for r-1 is a good idea the picture would be real good.

3 disc's for a r-2 is excellent..

it all depends where it came from..
4 discs sounds better but I would only say that if the encoding job could match the amount of space given. Decent video bit-rates should be around 4-5mbps and the 3 disc 26 ep usually are from 2.8-3.7mbps range so that is a 1/4 compression rate. I've never seen a 4 disc sets video rate but I assume they aim for 3.5-4.4mbps since they eliminate a few eps a disc. This is a hit and miss thing not exactly a fact dictated thing.
Quote:Originally posted by sanosuke
3 discs will do, but id rather have 4 and perfect R1 quality, sure whats $7? barely even a pack of smokes!

smokes cost nearly $7US in ireland?? holy crap. i snag 2-for-1 deals for under 5 here in maryland, US

-Vile
About 6$US for a pack of 25 here in Quebec.

3 DVDs should be good enough if they do a good job encoding it. They really should seampess branch the openings and endings, that will free up some room.

And they should fill up the DVD, my Agent Aika DVD MAC has a running time of 3hours 45 minutes yet the DVD is only 5 gigs in total. Still alot of room available to use.
I don't really care as long as there are no major pixelations/freezings.

If I want to complain that much abt quality, I might as well get R1s.
9 episodes a DVDhas been done very well many times, so I don't see any reason beyond using that. Given bad source, it's going to look like crap no matter what. Might as well not pay more for crap.
Pages: 1 2