Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime and Manga
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're here because we watch anime, but I've been wondering if any of you read manga as well. I know with myself, I've been hestitant about buying manga, even though I hear some are better than the anime.

Do most read manga and watch anime? Or just anime? Just wondering... because the other day I picked up a copy of DN Angel. I had a tough time deciding which one (manga) to get (for some odd reason). I've enjoyed watching..

So where do you fall?
Anime, Manga, OR Anime and Manga

Post your thoughts!

(and if you don't fall in any of those categories.... then why are you here?)
i usualy do both since the manga is more expansive than the anime and fills in details that the anime usualy omits. i'm reading the hellsing manga and i'm finding out more about the characters and plot than the anime shows, it has been the case with all the manga i have read. for example, blood: the last vampire anime is short, under developed, and doesn't explain much, but if you read the manga it fills in most of the blanks.
I read the manga or watch the anime. I don't like watching anime's of mangas i've read. The voices never sound right, and the english dub is always perfect in my head.
Thanks for the reply's! Both have excellent points Big Grin.. I'm surprised that I haven't seen another who only watches anime. Am I really missing that much? Ahh, well, as long as it's being enjoyed Big Grin.

More input is welcome.
Any time I can I get both, and usually start with the manga. Since the manga is usually the original version, it tends to be drawn better than the anime (Love Hina anyone?) and is usually more sufficient in supplying information. Perhaps the reason is because since it's the first, it needs to capture attention. The anime also sometimes has fillers, which can be a good or a bad thing. Since it just eats up time and usually isn't from the original creator, sometimes it's just pure crap. But other times it adds a whole new dimension to the anime that couldn't be added by the original author because it was an afterthought. I like watching the anime also because there are sometimes differences between the manga and the anime, and you get to whole story by watching/reading both. Plus, it's good watching something in full color and animation rather than reading something that's still and in black and white. And as an added bonus, if you watch subs, you can increase your learning of the japanese language because of all the listening and translation your brain is witnessing.

I'm sure I forgot something and i'll post (or edit) later if or when I remember).
I voted Manga. It's always better than the anime if there is an anime based off of it. BUT if the manga came AFTER the anime it probably sucks. Like Eva and Bebop, the animes are great and the mangas suck. Luckily there aren't many mangas based off the animes.
Both I would say but recently I've been getting more manga than I have been anime. Portable factor for manga is nice and I like that I can pace my manga reading, sometimes I just flip through pages quickly, sometimes I read it real carefully and try to look at the details of the artwork. I can spend 5 minutes just looking at one page and then go throught the next 10 in a minute. Plus they look pretty on my shelf.
Anyone have suggestions for good mangas? Im mostly looking for Legend of the Dragon

Kings also called Sohryu i believe. However any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx.
I like chic moslty watch anime because reading blows. Plus I find it harder to "get into" manga then watching the anime. However i do make exceptions when japan fucks up and decides never to make a second season to one of my favorite animes forcing me to read the manga.

DAMN YOU JAPAN I WANT MORE BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me both!!!!!!
DARK OSAMU Wrote:I voted Manga. It's always better than the anime if there is an anime based off of it. BUT if the manga came AFTER the anime it probably sucks. Like Eva and Bebop, the animes are great and the mangas suck. Luckily there aren't many mangas based off the animes.

Same with me! I almost always ike manga better but I've never seen a manga thats based off an anime thats any good. FLCL and Abenobashi mangas are horrible!
I thought the Love Hina manga was O.K. but I can't watch the anime cause the charactors look so bad. All of Rumiko Takahashi's mangas look better than the anime that is based on them.
i just started reading manga as well as watching anime. i guess it was because it was easier for me to get my grubby paws on anime than manga; it was on tv sometimes which means it was free Big Grin
Ryo of Inferno Wrote:Anyone have suggestions for good mangas? Im mostly looking for Legend of the Dragon Kings also called Sohryu i believe. However any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx.
I don't know either of those, but if you are already looking for them, how can we suggest them? If you would like some suggestions that you aren't already looking for, I would suggest 'Blade of the Immortal', 'Maison Ikkoku', 'Area 88' (old and somewhat hard to find), and 'Gunsmith Cats'. They are some of the first ones I read and will always be some of my favorites. For anyone who likes comedy manga, I suggest 'Blue Monday'. It's actually american, but it's damn good.
babyeater0 Wrote:I like chic moslty watch anime because reading blows. Plus I find it harder to "get into" manga then watching the anime. However i do make exceptions when japan fucks up and decides never to make a second season to one of my favorite animes forcing me to read the manga.

DAMN YOU JAPAN I WANT MORE BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm exactly the same way.