Import Anime Forums

Full Version: World Exclusive - Sega to return to hardware!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayer/...scoops.htm

On the 12 th of May, Day 1 of E3, Sega will showcase to the world it's re-entry into the Console hardware arena.

We first reported on a rumour regarding Sega returning to hardware about a month ago, but now the rumour is a reality, Financially revitalised, finally debt free, Sega now firmly belives it has what it takes to rule the roost.

But why you may ask are they doing this? wouldn't it be suicide? well no, not really. You see when Sega was making the dreamcast hardware it was selling an average of between 25-30 million units of software per year. Since going third party that number has always remained in the 6-10 million range. Besides the reason for going third party in the first place was to stop the losses and have a chance to get rid of it's debt (well over a billion dollars). Third party was never a permanent business plan. Did Isao Okawa give away he's life savings to save a software developer? No! re-entering hardware in the next round was always the plan. Did Sammy splash out half a billion dollars just for arcade floor space? No!
there is nothing concreate yet about this.. here is in actual quote
Quote:RUMOR: At E3, Sega will announce it is getting back into the console business.

Source: An e-mail blast inviting press to Sega's "mystery event" at E3.

The official story: "SEGA cannot comment on rumors relating to its exclusive press event on day one of E3. SEGA remains excited about its powerful lineup of yet-to-be announced titles."--Sega spokesman.

What we heard: Ever since Dreamcast production ceased in 2001, the console's diehard fans have held out hope that it would rise from the ashes. This week, hope came in the form of a one-paragraph press invitation to Sega's E3 presentation. "Learn about SEGA's 2004 line-up and hear BIG news you'd NEVER guess," read the invite, which promised "explosive news--something even YOU won't be able to guess!" (Emphasis in the original). Within minutes, Sega loyalists were churning out messianic predictions of a new and improved Dreamcast. "Financially revitalized, finally debt-free, Sega now firmly believes it has what it takes to rule the roost," read one. But before you break out the straightjackets, consider this: Amusement-machine giant Sammy is Sega's majority stockholder, and its president Hajime Satomi is Sega's chairman. This year, Sammy's new Atomiswave arcade platform will replace the veteran NeoGeo format. The NeoGeo also came in a home console version which had a customer base fanatical enough to shell out hundreds of dollars per game--in other words, a proven (if small) market. The Atomiswave's hardware is even more compact than the NeoGeo's. Sammy has announced Sega will focus on developing games for the Atomiswave. Could Sega's big announcement be a new, Sega-branded home console based on the Atomiswave? Or is all this much ado about nothing?

Bogus or not bogus?: Although it's an intriguing theory, it's probably bogus. Note to Sega: kudos for making one publicity e-mail go a long way.

So you don't know what they are going to do.. and no one can say for sure that they are going.. but no one can say they are not going to be getting back into console buisness..

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving...95043.html
Well it'd be nice to say "let's break out the Sega" once again and not talking about an old system.
I just went to http://www.sega.com and on the message boards they have the exact same thing. Someone made a topic and put the whole article in their post as well. Seems no official news has yet to be revealed because their topic is 9 pages long.
If only it were so, if only it were so. I miss the days of getting out the old Saturn and playing Guardian Heroes with some of my friends.
I personally am NOT going to get sega's next console. I've been burned by Sega WAY too much, back with the Sega CD, Game Gear, Saturn and then when I thought things were going good, the DC goes down. Sega can kiss my ass.
Man, good luck to them if they do decide to jump into the fray again. But I really don't see the market being able to support 4 consoles. Sega should team up with Nintendo...
Go Sega!! A key to the resurgence of Sega: Camelot makes one of the first games for the new system, Shining Force 4.
well since i just bought a brand new dreamcast you can tell i love sega. if they do i now have the money to buy the system and games and help keep sega afloat.

i hope they re enter the console market.

i cant wait for this to be on G4 on tv they are covering the E3 show all that week.

cant wait !
ill let you all know !

-LE
If sega can pull off outdoing the other consloe giants then I think they will come out on top. Sega should go out to the developers and make sure then make the right infrastructure so the that will be produced will be the best. I think sega can pull it off.
well up to the point of the dreamcast Sega always had good third party support. (not having EA on board cost Sega in the end) It seams that if you are going to make it in the business you must have either 1st or 3rd party support. And if you go the 1st party route you have to have the best games as well as the cast to go with them. (AKA Mario, Samus, Fox, & Zelda) Now Sega only really had Sonic... and that is not enough. Sony went the 3rd party route and let's anyone make a game for there system. (that is why you have so many crap games and why mags like gamepro do so well picking the goods from the bad)

I think this would be great but I would much rather Sega and Nintedo team up and kick the shit out of the compition.
i worked for funcoland/gamestop for 3 years, and from my experience with the console market only 3 consoles can truely servive. it would be suicide for sega to try again. they have a track record of making consoles that flop within a year or so of release(saturn, sega cd, etc). if they do start up again they should not put windows in thier machines (I think it was windows ce they used). that was the reason for the demise of the dreamcast, you were able to play burned games without needing a mod chip. hell i did it because it was so easy. pirating games for a console is a double edge sword, and its a prime example with the dream cast. Nintendo has been the smartest of the bunch by sticking with cartriges and mini dvd's, there is no way to pirate thier stuff, but cartriges and mini dvd's are hard to develop for, and thats shown by the lack of support for n64 and gamecube. i'm surprised the xbox has lasted this long, with a lack of japanese support and the high cost of its hard ware, But i guess if you are microsoft you can afford to stay afloat even if you are not making money. heck, Ed Fries left microsoft, the xbox front man, now what does that tell you.
I have no idea how fake GC games work but, http://66.90.101.149/suprnova//list_torrents/217.html
Quote:Originally posted by israfel
Nintendo has been the smartest of the bunch by sticking with cartriges and mini dvd's, there is no way to pirate thier stuff, but cartriges and mini dvd's are hard to develop for, and thats shown by the lack of support for n64 and gamecube.

The medium doesn't restrict the development in any way except for size and bandwidth restrictions. They were hella expensive, which is why not so many people developed with them. Apparently, it cost a substantial amount per cartridge to produce and (to a lesser extent) the mini-DVDs were expensive.
Quote:Originally posted by ElVaquero
I have no idea how fake GC games work but, http://66.90.101.149/suprnova//list_torrents/217.html

via BS Streaming so you need braodband your computer and a copy of Phantasy star online tand a hell load of other crap i cant be asked to get into...

very annoying
Pages: 1 2