Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Recommendations from your friends at Import Anime!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys..Think of this thread as the employee picks section at your local record/book store. Maybe this thread can be stickied, as a way to let others know what the regulars feel are things they must own. If we can keep this topic to one post per person and keep any other replies to a seperate thread, this could really come in handy.

Here are my picks:

****Best Anime Movie: My Neighbor Totoro

Pick this one up as part of the Studio Ghibli Collection, an absolutely must own HK set. Totoro is something that can be watched with the whole family and I think that anyone who still has a little bit of kid in them and can appreciate the magic of childhood will really enjoy this film. What can I say, every time I watch it, it makes me smile and I feel good for hours aftterwards. That's really all I can ask from a film. This isn't just my favorite anime film, it's my favorite film of all time. Period.

****Best Anime Series, TV: Card Captor Sakura

This series just takes me away..I can sit, watch, and forget about any worries or troubles. Not to be confused with Cardcaptors, the US version.. This is much more than a series about capturing tarot cards. Of course capturing cards happens almost every episode, but that's beside the point. ~_^ The animation is beautiful, the characters are surprisingly well done for an anime aimed at young girls, and it's just, well, fun. There are no wars going on, there's not a mech in sight, and more often than not there's a happy ending. The episodes are consistently good and there are some real gems mixed in as well. I'm particularly fond of the episodes in which Sakura appears to be seeing the spirit of her mother in a forest and another where Sakura and Yukito and the rest of the gang head to a festival.. I believe it's the glow card episode. The animation in that episode is just gorgeous.. Anyway, good stuff, fun for all, I hope someone who hadn't thought of getting this series before reads my little blurb and decides to try it out. ^_^

****Best OAV Series: Rurouni Kenshin OVA (Samurai X)

Breathtaking.. There's really no other way to put it. This is the prequel to the TV series.. It tells the story of how Kenshin became who he is in the TV series. There's a great love story here as well as a little history lesson as to what Japan was like in 1864.. Think of where the US was at the time as you're watching.. It makes for some interesting viewing. Oh, did I mention how beautiful the animation was? Yes, I think I did. Check this one out, folks. You won't be disappointed.

****Wild Card: Black Heaven

This category is for the one other series that didn't make the cut above, but one that I felt I should include anyway. It's another TV series, Black Heaven. Ignore the big overall plot because it's stupid. Yep, aliens come to earth to ask for Oji's help as his guitar music somehow helps them destroy enemy space ships. Erm, sure, right... Concentrate of the character of Oji, and his wife and son. I've mentioned this in other reviews, I'm sure, but isn't it nice to see a 30 year old salary man as the hero? One living an almost boring life, even? Of course, there's enough anime chicks to keep the normal otaku busy as well, but.. For those of looking for something different, there's a mid-life crisis thrown in, a son obsessed with a power rangers type show, a wife who wonders why her husband is always out late..And I just love the late night sake and snack stand that Oji visits when he's depressed.. I guess it's a little slice of life in japan.. We certainly don't have a place like that in the states. By the way, the music in this series is pretty cool too. =)

So there you have it. A few ideas for those of you who haven't picked these titles up already. I hope you buy one, and enjoy it. ^_^