Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Is there anything good coming out in the anime world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There has been lott of duds coming out lately. Who knows if there is anything coming out in the anime world that is original and worth watching?
Looking for brand spanking new Anime that has yet to hit the Japanese TV or some new dub that has yet to be transferred over here? Cuz I don't know either but thought I'd ask to get some clarity up for someone who does know.
You could try Maria-Sama Ga Miteru (The Virgin Mary is watching you),
13 episodes, 1rst season, the last episode fansubs was out 3 weeks ago.
Very good anime, it's like the relationship between Utena and Anthy.
A forbiden love between 2 girls SWEET
That series sucks ass IMO. You've gotta be either gay or a chick to enjoy that series. It's not like you're gonna see kissing or chick-on-chick action, merely hinting at lesbianism and more admiration than sexual attraction.

If you want an idea of some of the good (or potentially good) series recently introduced or airing in Japan, here are some examples (in no particular order):

- Gungrave
- Midori no Hibi
- Melodies of Oblivion
- Madlax
- Bakuretsu Tenshi
- Yugo the Negotiator
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Naruto
- Gokusen
- Planetes
- Kenran Butousai: The Mars Daybreak
- Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai
- Monster
- Godannar Season 2
- Initial D Fourth Stage
- Tenjou Tenge

It's up to you to find out what each of these are about.
I'm talking new anime with a good serious story like Berserk or fist of the north star. I am not really into the whole romantic comedy thing. Since Berserk i've been waiting for the next good anime along those lines. Does anyone know of such an anime?
If you're watching DVDs, you're outta luck, since haven't been many series like Berserk for awhile. If you're watching fansubs, Gungrave and Full Metal Alchemist are definitely good choices, as well as Naruto.
New Getter Robo OVA is fucking awesome. Too bad only two episodes air a month Sad
The ROD TV series wrapped up in Japan not to long ago. I would definately recommend it.

Initial D 4th stage also started airing so if you liked the previous series this is a no brainer.

As for stuff coming out on R1 DVD, I would say 12 Kingdoms, it's a fantasy series and a great one at that. Azumanga Daioh vol 1 just got released and that is one of my favorite series.
Last Exile. So far, Geneon has released 3 volumes with #4 coming out soon. The story is quite original and entertaining. It's about an exotic adventure in the sky. It's really hard to compare this to anything. Sorta like a mixture of Castle in the Sky and Crest of Stars.

Also, try "Patapata Airship Adventure" I actually saw this in the store section as available to be purchased. Kinda like "Nadia, secret of blue water." This is another adventure story in exotic lands.
R1 - The best series being released right now are Last Exile and Twelve Kingdoms. Give 12 Kingdoms a chance and don't prejudge it based on the ugly covers.
Gunslinger Girl. Initial D 4th won't be available for like... a year.
But then, do you REALLY want to get R1s of any Initial D series? Fansubs are the way to go.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
But then, do you REALLY want to get R1s of any Initial D series?

Even as a strong advocate of R1's and dubs, I have to agree on this one. Tokyopop messed up with that release and even I won't support it. The subs on the HK's are surprisingly good.
I stole the titles ffrom the list above, but i'll comment on them:

Midori no Hibi: not looking for comedy/romance? then you'll be missing out, the manga is very funny & cute.
Full Metal Alchemist: Should be real good. I've read the manga up to volume 2 or so, & believe it to be interesting.
Naruto: If you're looking for something even closely realistic this isn't for you. It reminds me of DBZ at some points, only it's more realistic than DBZ, with better fighting.
Monster: I've heard great things about the manga, & am currently d/ling it.
Tenjou Tenge: From what I've heard this is a lot like Real Bout Highschool, but seeing as how I've never read real bout highschool I wouldn't know. But judging by the manga this series should rock. Super powers & nudity all wrapped into one. I really like the part where one guy stops the other guy's punch with a chop stickBig Grin it would rock to have that kind of power.
Yeah, I would never buy the R1's for Initial D, but the series itself isn't going to be finished airing for a good number of months.
Pages: 1 2 3