Import Anime Forums

Full Version: DVD to be obsolete soon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can you believe this? They are already talking about DVD becoming obsolete as early as next year. This means gobs of money to upgrade to new disc format and new player. I really thought DVD would last another 10 years, but I guess not.

CNN reports:
"Just as consumers are beginning to get comfortable with their DVD players, electronics manufacturers are set to introduce next-generation discs that store more -- and would be harder to copy. A dozen companies, headed by Sony Corp., are pushing a disc called the Blu-ray.

The Blu-ray disc has the most storage capacity, up to 50 gigabytes. However, it achieves that capacity by using a structure quite different from DVDs.

Movie studios generally aren't commenting on the new formats. And the rival industry groups aren't saying exactly when they expect to have players on the market. Both, however, consider the DVD ripe for replacement next year.

For the industry, a new format could mean an escape from the low-margin market DVD players have become. From costing more than $500 when introduced in 1997, players are now available for less than $50.

One thing the studios are sure to appreciate is that the new discs promise much better copy protection than DVDs. While the older format has been a boon to the studios -- it grossed them more than theatrical releases last year -- its susceptibility to piracy has been a thorn."
I heard about Sony's new format a while ago. I am disappointed at the last part though. If they stop piracy, we can say good-bye to imported anime... and I don't want that to happen Sad.

I want the DVD format to last alot longer. But it would seem industry today is looking to upgrade faster, to make the most money.
It will get hard for normal people to make back up copies, but I hardly doubt that will stop MAC and FX. People will always find a way to byapss copy protection.

For an intersting note, with new format, it is possible to put entire episodes of both Cowboy Bebop AND Full Metal Panic in a single Blue-ray disc. Isn't that amazing?
50 episodes per disc? That would be a ton.. they would need a few different series of menus. That means they could put all of Rurouni Kenshin on two discs...

Wait a minute... I just thought of a big flaw that may be a reason not to upgrade. Do you really think they'll put movies on this new format? From studios I mean... They couldn't just do ONE movie release per disc or it would be a huge waste of space. DVD's are doing fine for this day and age, so why would studio's want to upgrade? Think about it... how much could they possible put on a disc for one movie release?

Now that I think about it, it seems un-nessasary.
Dohzz.....what am I going to do with my 8 dvd players? Throw them away? TMD :mad: :p

I don't think that studios will upgrade to blue-ray disc that soon. Like Sir said, they have only 1 movie to release each time, unless it's a TV series like Friends, Sex in the city etc.

Maybe in a couple of year when each movie is 10 hours long.....blah...

Hehhe...to put FMP, Bebop Fushigi Yuugi, Twelve Kingdoms etc in 1 disc...how much do you think the R1 companies are going to charge for just 1 disc? $50? $100? $150?

In my case, I sure don't want to pay 1 disc for $150.....maybe $50 I'll pay. :p Big Grin
Here is the answer to the question about extra space:

the benefit of a new format would be better image quality. Sales of high-definition TV sets have finally started to take off, but current DVDs don't have the resolution to get the most out of HDTV sets.

As for Mac putting two series in a disc. That's wishful thinking. Even Mac will never do that and charge just $7.00.
Quote:Originally posted by SirChico
DVD's are doing fine for this day and age, so why would studio's want to upgrade?

Easy. Because they know we've already bought all these DVD's and they've already made their money off of them. So now if they introduce a new format, we'll all have to replace our DVD's and spend a lot more money getting replacements for all these DVD's. Same thing that happened when VHS had maxed out and then they introduced DVD. Did you start buying DVD's for some films that you already had on VHS? I know I did.
Yes. This is happening just as Vicious said. Before CD's, everone used to play cassette tape in a car. After CD came out, it didn't take that long for tape to become obsolete. I had to replace all my tapes with CD, soon after. And VHS with DVD a few years after.
True, they are trying to make money, but...

Even though it's a new format, I still don't think they compare with the revolution from VHS to DVD.

Watching movies totally changed with the switch to DVDs. With this new format not much is changing... It's still a disc, they'll play the same way (menu's)... the difference is more space, better picture. Honestly, industry is making people look like gluttons for bigger, better stuff... and that's the way it'll be sold as if we want this... in time we'll be forced to this stuff. But, if you think about it do we really need it? No! DVD's we needed. We needed the change from the "primitive" format. But, this really isn't practical, not for a long while off.

Quote:Originally posted by hbk101
Yes. This is happening just as Vicious said. Before CD's, everone used to play cassette tape in a car. After CD came out, it didn't take that long for tape to become obsolete. I had to replace all my tapes with CD, soon after. And VHS with DVD a few years after.

This is a good example... CD's have been in use over a decade. Are they coming out with a new format? Not really... They've satisified the needs and nothing bigger or better has been released. The same thing should go with DVD's.

This is a good example... CD's have been in use over a decade. Are they coming out with a new format? Not really... They've satisified the needs and nothing bigger or better has been released. The same thing should go with DVD's.

Hopefully you're right. I'm personally hoping they don't come out with a new format. But if they do, you know the reason behind it.
True, they are trying to make money, but...

This is a good example... CD's have been in use over a decade. Are they coming out with a new format?

Oh, yes. You can bet your house they are working on replacing CDs. The focus being on copy protection. The technolgy is accelerating at an incredible pace. If it takes 10 years for CD to become obsolete, DVD will take a fraction of that. Do you remember Laser disc? Many thought it was the format of the future. Nowadays, do you know anyone who has even one?

DVD WILL be replaced. It's just a matter of when, even though many (including me) will be upset. It just makse too much sense for companies. It's their gold mine. They are not making whole lot of money selling DVD player for $40.
actually i looked more about blu-ray on cnn thats not the only thing thats gonna be new theres gonna be two or three other formats heres the link for more info BLU_RAY news report dvd formats
I read about blu ray 6 months ago or more in PSM. Then, of course, it was a "new format for PS3." I could see PS3 coming out with a new format which would then aid in leading the public to buying a new format for movies.

The one thing i did like about picture i saw was that it looked like a dvd inside a hard disk. I would really like something to protect my DVDs from those scratches. Cases just don't cut it.
I agree with SirChico the jump from VHS to DVD was actually needed. VHS degraded so badly over time. If you're like me and you watch the things you own over and over again you need a type of media that can handle it. DVD is that media. Personally I'm very pleased with the current technology. Anything new to come out will just be unnecessary.Rolleyes
when the time comes that blu_ray dvds come out, dvd players will most likely be able to play both blu_ray and normal dvds, as I'm sure there would be a consumer back lash if they didn't, all it would require is 2 different laser reading mechanisms in the dvd player. I believe current dvd players use a red laser. If you think about it, most people use dvd players for cd players as well, which uses a red laser, so it would be wise for dvd player companies to incorporate the reading of cds/dvds/ and any new dvd formats. The blu_ray discs just use i believe a blue laser which has a smaller wavelength allowing more to be written onto a disk with the same physical dimensions.

There are things about what dvd player companies will do when the time comes that they upgrade to blu_ray discs. I'll look around for them later, but for now, back to physics.

heres one: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/F...30121.html

on a side note that 25 gb paper dvd by sony is interesting.

one more link... good amount of info. http:// http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/H...ial.shtml

what is interesting would be how they build the new dvd players, since blu-rays disks have to currently be in cartridges, till they get a better scratch resistant coating. From what I've read its pretty much you get a scratch on the disk and the disk is as good as done for. They'll prolly have to sell empty cartridges to which you would probably just need one, then put one of the old dvds in any time you want to play it. Personally I kind of like the cartridge idea better.
Pages: 1 2 3