Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Question 'bout the mbps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just one question. If movie have 3,8 mbps is it high or low? And what mean that mbps? And how much is the standard about mbps? Hmm ok its three not one question Wink
mbps = mega bits per second. That is the information flow rate (bandwidth). Higher rate means better resolution. More commonly, when you play MP3 files, you see it's compressed to 128, 192 kbps, etc. For DVD, I am not sure what the standard rate is, but 3 mbps is probably low, and 8 is high.

edit: one more thing. Usually they are encoded as variable rate unlike MP3 files. That means high action scene will require higher rate. For drama, probably, 3 mbps is OK
you can encode mp3 with vbr yourself.

Hollywood Original DVDs usually have an average bitrate of 3800kbps or so, depending on the movie, they hire a dude, to compress and tweak the video as good as it can get.

maximum bitrate usually around 8000kbps though i've seen 9000+

now the anime dvds release by the companies here varies, some are good some are bad. some R1 rip even is crappy looking, for example i bought Gasaraki MAC, and in high motion scene things got blocky, checked on PC and found out the highest bitrate it got was 5000+, which is bad for that kind of scene. things might a lot better if it was an anime like Haibane Renmei. which is perfectly rip. Tongue
In most cases high bit rates means high quality, it depends on what's happening on the screen, if you don't have a lot of movement then the mpeg2 standard doesn't require a large bit stream to be used. So a low bit stream doesn't necessarily mean you get a lower resolution, a low bit stream can be caused by modifying the quantizer values or just low motion in the scene. If you want to know what the rates are, plop the dvd into you're computer and play them back, most dvd software can output the rate (it's an average bitrate over x number of ms). That'll give you and idea of what you would expect.