Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Yu Yu or Recca?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
which is better show and why?

To me Recca is and is funnier too..though the drawings could get better
Yu Yu HK set has horrible subs from what I understand so Recca must win hands down ;p
a friend of mine will NEVER stop raving about Recca.... and he HAS seen both...... i've been meaning to buy it (recca), but just never get around to it u_u
Maison Ikkoku!!!!!!!!!.............................er what was the question again?
I haven't seen Yu Yu, but I have seen Flame of Recca, and it rates as the best anime series i've ever seen!!! I'm not an anime nut, but i've watched alot of anime and flame of recca just got me like no other series has. The characters are all cool and have personalities, no cardboard cutouts where the only way you can tell the difference is the color of the characters hair. Umm...it's got great action and fighting, some really hilarious moments, great story line...I really can't say anythying bad about this series!!! I'm new to this website and i'm trying to figure out how to buy the flame of recca series (there is a post somewhere in the forums that they're for sale, but I can't find the place to order them!) I first had the series on vhs, and then i bought a set from ebay, but the subtitling and timing of the subtitles to the actual action going on is terrible w/ the dvd set i got, so i'm hoping to find a better set) Anyhow, I'm curious to know why Yu Yu is being compared to Flame of REcca? Who knows, if Yu Yu, is even half as good as Flame of Recca, i'll be very happy to discover some new quality anime!
Yu Yu is great. However the HK set sucks major ass. The 6 disc Flame of Recca set from Manga International (Green M) is supposed to be much better than the AS one you have (4 disc). For the store. Look where is says Hong Kong DVDs on the left hand side at the top. It will say "Store". Click on it. Then you're gold.
Welp, here is my 2 cents, I have read the manga for FoR and seen the anime of YuYu. I love them both, but to compare...

I prefer YuYu in almost all ways. One of the main reasons is that it's the original, FoR rips it off in many many ways. The characters in YuYu I found far more intriguing, and with the added bonus of being "cooler". YuYu also had the added effect of stirring my emotions more than FoR.

The DVD of YuYu does have horrible subtitling, but I was able to get through it without a problem. However, it must be noted that I was fully comfortable with the series before I got the DVD, and find myself correcting the subs based on what I hear quite often.

FoR is probably the next anime I get, so I do recommend getting both. But be warned about the major similiarties.

And since I might just spoil it a bit , I am putting a huge space now, so don't read if you want to avoid MINOR SPOILERS. Also note that I am only listing stuff that really doesn't give anything away.

Some disturbing similarities:

Domon - Can you say Kuwabara?

Mikigami - Hiei + Kurama anyone?

Recca - Obviously Yusuke

Yanagi - Botan (Assertiveness) + Keiko (Relation)

Tournament's are major parts of both, both know the opponent well beforehand and basically face obstacles to their final grudge match.

Both have teams that are led by a "Doctor" which are disturbingly similar.

That's just off the top of my head.

But remember that it does add a more detailed back story and is specatacular in it's own right.

END SPOILERS

In conclusion? If you can stand the DVD of YuYu, I think it's a superior series, but if not, FoR is cheaper and higher quality DVD.

-Mangey