Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Japanese Kanji for Otaku?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know what the japanese kanji for Otaku is(if there even is one)?
You can look it up here. I would find it for you, but at the moment my browser dosen't support Nihon go.
did you forget the link?
It's not kanji, it's katakana.

?I?^?N
Sorry, I was in such a rush earlier that I didn't paste the link.Wink

The word "otaku" stems from the japanese word for house which is taku seen here:

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dosearc...I=on&IK=on

Add the honorific O:

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dosearc...I=on&IK=on

And you have the word otaku, which is the honorific way of saying house. It wasn't until recently that the katakana "spelling" of otaku came into practice. Hope that helps.Wink
Right, if you wrote it in anything but katakana now, you'd just have house.

Crap, now this site is telling me that I'm a house.
See, but to the Japanese, an Otaku is someone who does not leave their house, does not shower and is an Uber-geek over video games or Anime.
Don't ever say that you are an Otaku to some one from Japan, it's really frowned upon.

That's just my tidbit for today!
hmmm, this thread turned out to be very educational, thanx for the input minna-san!!
Quote:Originally posted by Ka-Talliya
See, but to the Japanese, an Otaku is someone who does not leave their house, does not shower and is an Uber-geek over video games or Anime.
Don't ever say that you are an Otaku to some one from Japan, it's really frowned upon.

That's just my tidbit for today!

That's why you should get Schultz to change this damn post-count title! I'm not a loser, I swear....
Hehe, I have no control over the matter. They are well aware of what it means. Everyone on this Forum who has a custom Title was once an OTAKU. Besides, it's not Japanese people referring to you as Otaku, so it's not such a bad thing.
I am not too fond of the Otaku title underneath my name either. I liked Anti-Baka better.

Of course I'll like creating my own even more Big Grin.
I was never too fond of the Otaku label ever, either the American or Japanese Version.
I second.. or third that. I'm not a nerd... so I guess I don't get it.