Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anyone here from Australia ordered from overseas??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if there are any Australian people who have ordered DVD's from overseas, cos I am really really itching to buy but dunno if it's worth it, currently the exchange rate is 1USD per 2AUD so basically I'm paying about 12USD per DVD here in Australia for basically AS/AV/AC/MI (I dont think there are any FX or MAC titles in the stores yet), but if I were to order from overseas, the main concern I have is with import taxes and other costs such as GST being added or something, cos if I think about it... about 10USD per disc, if u buy enough then u can reduce shipping so let's negate shipping costs, if they slap me with say 10% GST then I'd be paying 11USD per disc and if they slap me with ridiculous customs taxes etc, then it might well cost more than 12USD per disc... it can't be that bad can it??? Please please if anyone knows how the system in Australia works... let me know...

Thanks in advance guys...
Dont worry about it mate, i had the same reservations as yourself before i decided to invest in imported series.

Yeah the exchange rate isnt to good, but its a hell of alot better than buying local region 4 dvd's. You wont get slapped with any GST charges, it will normally be about 10/12 $US for shipping on top of the disc cost and thats all there is. It usually only takes a week to get here aswell (from HK Vendors anyway) and the packaging is top quality. Basically they send it over as a "Gift" so there are no import taxes applied to it. although i wouldnt recomend ordering lots of titles in one go, as customs is likely to take a look at it.

I would suggest ordering 1 or 2 dvd's/series at a time, and you wont have to worry about anything. If your worried about the quality of the discs, i would recommend getting the Cowboy Bebop or Trigun series from FX ........... they should clear up any doubt regarding that!

All in all there is nothing to worry about really, order away, and enjoy the good times!

Rock Ard
Thanks for the info Smile

I've been buying them here in Australia since the start of the year and have spent quite a lot, too much for my budget actually, they are so damn tempting, so reducing costs will prolly just mean that I end up spending more for more dvd's then spending less cos it costs less ehhe... so far... I've got (in order of purchase)

Studio Ghibli Archives (AC-6DVDs-$90 USD)
Maison Ikkoku Box Set (AC-10DVDs-$150 USD)
Vision of Escaflowne (AV-3DVDs- $30 USD)
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (AV-3DVDs $40 USD)
Arc The Lad (AV-3DVDS $25 USD)
Cowboy Bebop Movie (AS-1DVD $12 USD)
Ranma 1/2 Movie 2 (AS-1DVD $12 USD)
Photon Idiot Adventures (AS-1DVD $12 USD)
Escaflowne Girl in Gaea (AS-1DVD $12 USD)
Dirty Pair Flash OVA (AS-1DVD $12 USD)
El-Hazard OVA I & II (AS-3DVD $36 USD)
FLCL (MI-1DVD $13 USD)
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA (AS-1DVD $10 USD)
Tenchi Universe (AV-3DVD $35 USD)
Read or Die (MI-1DVD $13 USD)
Gasaraki (AV-3DVD $35 USD)
Mahoro Automatic Maiden (AV-2DVD $22 USD)

All up about $560 USD ~ $1120 AUD which is too much for a student to be spending on Anime... but heck I'm proud of my collection Smile

In any case... when u refer to the packaging as being a "gift", which resellers do this? I know Animeniacs do, does Import Anime do so as well? What about buying direct from AnimeStudio/MAC???

Once again, thanks for the info... hopefully I'll get round to ordering from overseas soon enough Smile
you found FLCL in Aust? Where at? I'd love to pick that up, but I'd rather not pay stupidly high shipping costs. Smile
Heya Zealous...

I buy my anime HKDVD's from a number of places in the City/Sydney... for AC/MI/AV I get them from Movie Station situated at:
Stall 2 Sussex Arcade 631-635 George Street Syndey 2000 (this will close soon) but they have a new shop open at:
Shop F4a, 1st floor, Citymark Building, 638-689 George Street Sydney 2000.

There is another place, though since I dont go there often they dont give me much discount... the are situated also on Sussex street in the same building as the food court, as is another place that sells AC/MI called Po Hong but they charge more...

For AS stuff there is a store in the same building as Modellers world in the building across from Market City in Haymarket I think it's called Golden Network something or other....

Well if ur in Sydney then it's easy... but if not... then I've no idea where else to go...