Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Best Lupin Movie?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok there are far too many "best set" threads going around and other random shit so im startin a thread thats actually about anime. what lupin movie is your favorite? if its castle of cagliostro then list your second favorite as well cause im expecting most people to say that. my favorite is by far mystery of mamo, pure genius!
I really liked Episode 0. its the story on how they became a group.
excellent! i ordered it from here and it should be arriving soon Big Grin
To be honest, I don't know if I have a favorite after Castle of Cagliostro. Although I do agree that Episode 0 would have to be right up there as it was one of the better ones. I also liked the Legend of the Gold of Babylon alot as well.
I saw the Castle of Cagliostro almost ten years ago when my family hosted exchange students from Asia. One Japanese border got us two anime's My Neighbor Totoro and the Castle of Cagliostro. We still have them today.

I haven't seen any Lupin, besides the Castle of Cagliostro, but I was surprised to find that the main character's name is Wolf. Any reason?
The main characters name is Lupin. :confused: Maybe you have some HK's with some really bad subtitles.
No, no... it's a dubbed VHS. So maybe they changed it for American audience? As I recall, all the other characters' names are intact. It's odd though.
I'ts just your VHS then because he is called Lupin in the DVD release.
Yeah... it's an older release (pre-DVD era), right around the time Hayao Miyazaki wasn't happy with how his movies were tampered when they were brought to America. Carl Machek (director of English adaptation) must have used some licensing and changed the name to Wolf.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that his name is Lupin in the later releases. Big Grin
Like y'all said Catle of Cagliostro is great and for my second gotta go with episode 0, I just like when they release something that you've been asking yourself, how they met and stuff plus is great
Actually the name is french and does have the word wolf in it. When Animego brought Lupin over they changed it to Rupan and called him wolf. So it "technically" is not wrong to call him wolf.Wink
Lupin's name actually has a bit of conflict in it's history.
To start with, Lupin is French for Wolf. So calling him wolf is like calling someone named "Garcon" Boy.
The character Lupin III is based on a classic French character named Arsine Lupin (I'm probably off on the spelling of the first name, I'm going from memory here). When they tried importing Lupin into North America there were copyright conflicts preventing them from using the name Lupin over here so they called him Wolf (which is just the literal translation of his name). After that, they tried skirting the issue by renaming him Rupan on some pre-DVD releases.

The copyright issue has finally been resolved and I believe the estate of the author who wrote the original Lupin novels is finally getting some form of compensation.

To address the original question in this thread, Castle of Cagliostro is the first anime movie I ever saw and it remains one of my all time favourites. After that I have a hard time picking a second favourite. I enjoyed the goofiness of Legend of Gold Babylon, and the serious tones of Walter P-38. Mystery of Mamo stands out as pretty cool but one of the more weird anime I've ever seen.

I'd still rather watch the first season of Lupin directed by Miyazaki than most of the movies though.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto

I'd still rather watch the first season of Lupin directed by Miyazaki than most of the movies though.

Really? I just bought that set and have only had a chance to see the 1st 3 episodes so far. 1 thing I don't like is that it's not very colorful. Alot of the colors used in the series are kinda dull.
The reason the colours are a bit on the dull side is because it was made back in the 60s. I imagine the source material had faded quite a bit in that time. Not to mention there was a different sense of design for the time.

I like the Miyazaki stuff because I feel it strikes the best balance between silly and serious stuff. Miyazaki's rendition of Lupin is a bit different from Monkey Punch's original version but I feel that Miyazaki's changes make him a better character.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
Lupin's name actually has a bit of conflict in it's history.
To start with, Lupin is French for Wolf. So calling him wolf is like calling someone named "Garcon" Boy.

Not quite true. French word for wolf is loup. This is a case of the original author Maurice Leblanc playing with French words. Arsene Lupin's name is simlar to "wolf," and police commisioner Dudouis's name is spelled similar to "sick of it" as he is so much made fun of by Arsene Lupin.

Without much argument, #1 Lupin movie is Castle of Cagliostro. After that, whole lot of mediocrity with some decent ones between. Especially, the last two I saw were fergettable: Secret of Twilight Gemini and Pursuit of Harimao' Treasure. In Gemini, Lupin III is seen as stupid, sex-crazed juvenile deliquent and Fujiko as dumb bimbo with absolutey no brain of her own.
Pages: 1 2