Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime Essentials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the all time best animes/mangas/etc. out there. The ones that are complete essentials to buy no matter what the price is. (I need more anime stuff, so get to posting I need the facts.)
Well, I guess by essentials, we should go through the first anime sets purchased by people. If your going with anime, obviously, most people will tell you to pick up Cowboy Bebop and Trigun as they are some of the first sets bought by most new collectors. Berserk, Hellsing and Outlaw Star are also some of the more popular series that people generally pick up as they begin collecting. If you want something with more of a slapstick humor feel, then Love Hina, Mahoromatic and Kare Kano are good sets to pick up. If you want to pick up so really good movies get the Studio Ghibli FX set (which is Out Of Print as of now, so snatch up your copy). A good long series to invest your money in is Rurouni Kenshin, I know many people have picked up that one. Those are just some of the titles people like to pick up there first time buying. I don't think there are really any "all time greatest" anime's. I mean, the world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some, right?

I can't give an opinion on manga's due to my habbit of collecting almost any manga series I can get my hands on.
It's harder to find but I suggest you get your hands on a copy of Tekkaman Blade. It is one of my faves and worth the trouble to find. Avoid TB2 at all costs though. It Totally sux.

Manga you need are anything by Katsuhiro Otomo. His Akira manga especially, Which is completely different in comparison to the movie and far exceeds it. Same with Berserk, blows the anime out of the water. Blade of the Immortal. Holy crap is this manga awesome. Lone Wolf and Cub is great too. Check all these out. You wont be dissapointed.Smile
exactly, there are too many genres of anime for anyone to define a few select shows as the greatest. although i do recommend:

evangelion
bebop
berserk
x tv
gto
lupin 3rd
3x3 eyes

these are shows that i really enjoyed but this is merely my opinion
Quote:Originally posted by Terrex
the world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some

Wha' chu' talkin' 'bout Terrex!Wink Wink
Movie

Akira
My Neighbor Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Metropolis
End Of Evangelion
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Read Or Die

Series

Cowboy Bebop