Import Anime Forums

Full Version: What's a good player to watch HK DVDs with?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tried to watch my Mac Esca set on my PS2 and it's skipping and locking up a lot on the first disk. What's a cheap player that has decent features that you guys would recommend for HK DVD viewing?
Look under the general babble page.....there's a thread with "DVD players that will play FX/HK dvds". It's on the second page of the general babble i believe.
I read that thread. There were a few but not enough model numbers posted.
most will play the HK DVDs. Just the older more finnicky models, and the PS2 seem to be culprits with watching HK Boots. If you can, look for ones that are able to read CD-R or DVD-R, since those lenses tend to be a bit better. As for performance quality, you're going to have to read reviews on those. All computer DVD-Rom Drive will read them (unless the disc is bad).
NOT true, I have friends with Pioneer DVD-ROM drives who have problems reading FX discs.

I recommend either Sony or Toshiba (even some Panasonic models have problems) or Samsung, but stay away from Pioneer units.
my one reads them fine until it broke :S, it would read video but not sound anymore lol. got an asus one now it works great.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
NOT true, I have friends with Pioneer DVD-ROM drives who have problems reading FX discs.
they might be broken FX Discs.

I reccomend Lite-On and Plextor. GO to newegg.com to look them up. Lite on is much cheaper than any of the ones that Robojack listed. Actually come to think of it, I've never heard of or seen a pioneer DVD-Rom drive...or panasonic for that matter.
I have a DreamX - 108 which I got on Ebay a few months ago and it is awesome, it plays everything plus divx. I recently wrote him about getting another one for my mom and he said he has sold out in the US but you can still get them in the UK. So if you are in the US I'd recommend an Apex, my sister just got the Apex ADV-3800 dvd/vcr combo ($100) and my mom got the Apex AD-1100W ($40) and they both play HK dvds perfectly. Big Grin
Actually, they were my FX discs, which work fine on my standalone Toshiba DVD player. It was my Escaflowne set as well, and my friend reported having several problems playing several episodes and heavy pixelation during certain parts when playing the discs on his Pioneer DVD-ROM. When I tried it on his Panasonic standalone player, most of these problems were gone, save a few. At home, my Toshiba played all those episodes perfectly, without a hitch.
My Toshiba SD 220 plays most FX sets ok

My Pioneer 656 doesn't :mad:

What's your Toshiba Model, Robojack ?
APEX always seems to work for me, I am a cheap bastard though.. and you can get these for especially cheap during the holidays at wal-mart/k-mart... I've had one APEX dvdplayer crap out on me, but that was after over a year and a half of use. It seems some players have a lot of trouble playing imports, my friend's would play his Cowboy Bebop dvds and then just skip episode 4 and 5 (if I remember correctly), though the episodes played on other players.
newer xbox - my new xbox plays them perfectly.

computer dvd rom- plays them just as well

my ps2 is my last resort if the disk is bad, my ps2 is an older one too so yeah,

so thats all i can recomend.

-LE
talking about PS2 there is a large difference in Compatibilty depending on the PS2 version due to
different DVD drivers and Drives being used

For FX either 1 to 1.10e Or 2.13 have the best FX compatibilty Going on from what ive found out via comparing my PS2 and my friends PS2's
My ps2 wont read like half the anime i bought, piece of crap! Luckly i got a free dvd player when my dad bought a digitial camra. Its a phillips and it cost about $50 and it reads all of my anime! WO HO!
My Toshiba player is a SD-412V model. As I remember, it's quite a limited edition model, I don't seem them as frequently as other Toshiba models.
Pages: 1 2