Import Anime Forums

Full Version: This is awesome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay...I am not a newbie to anime but only since yesterday when a man at Best Buy referred me to this out of the way store where I live did I discover you can buy these imported huge box sets for next to nothing as it normally would cost like I have been buying them...Then I did research and found this site! And realized they sell these box sets even cheaper here (21 or so vs 50 at that store) So I am still slightly wondering how it is so cheap compared to the normal 150 or whatever it would cost to normally have all those episodes....Not that is really matters of course, just curious...
Because they are rips of other dvds or straight from tv(sometimes). HK meaning Hong Kong. They don't have laws over there against ripping stuff so they can mass produce stuff for cheap. Lots of times it's an American version (IE: Perfect Rip).
These sets are imported from HongKong. They are not R1s, like the ones sold in Best Buy/Fry's etc. Anyway, those stores rip you off on R1s. For instance, Half.com retail price for Gasaraki Box Set is $99.95 (or sth like that), Fry's sells it for $139.99. Witch Hunter Robin Limited Edition Box Set + Vol. 1, retail price, $49.98, Fry's sells it for $59.99.

These box sets from HK are normally ripped from the R1s anyway. Their picture quality, sound/subtitles, are generally similar to R1s, if not the same. Just read the reviews on those sets and if you like what you read, buy those sets by all means. Import animes from HK need not pay licensing/patent fees, hence they are much cheaper.

This place is generally for people who do not want to fork out hundreds/thousands of dollars buying R1s and those who want to try out the series first before deciding to spend loads of money buying sth which they've never seen before on R1s.

My R1 anime collection is worth more than $4k and I ordered another $1k worth 2 days ago. I bought all limited edition box sets and individual dvds to make them complete. I found this website 9 mths ago and helped me save tons of money without having to buy R1s just to test out whether I like the series enough to buy the whole set. This website offers better deals, if not the best, than other sellers who sell the same stuffs. Another merit abt this website is the seller is the best seller around. He's the only one I've never had any complaints about.

Hope this answers your question
Thanks dude, yeah my question has been answered! Good stuffBig Grin
Quote:HK...don't have laws over there against ripping stuff so they can mass produce stuff for cheap.

Actually, they do have laws -- the cops tend to look the other way instead.

And some HKs are actually produced in other Asian countries, like Malaysia. Of course, for good measure, the Malaysian discs are often made offshore -- litterally, on freighters.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I figured they weren't ALL made in China but it's nice to some specifics like Malaysia. Those crazy ripping companies!
Anime Club is in Cambodia
Quote:Originally posted by rugrats1
Actually, they do have laws -- the cops tend to look the other way instead.

And some HKs are actually produced in other Asian countries, like Malaysia. Of course, for good measure, the Malaysian discs are often made offshore -- litterally, on freighters.

Yea, the cops look away b/c they think they're just "stupid cartoons" prob.

DVD's made on boats? wtf?! LOL
Hmm...that explains the bad discs that sometimes come out then....pressed during a storm at sea...
Heheh....i think if stuffs are being made in the open sea, the local police can't do anything. Storm eh.....Big Grin
I don't think the HK anime company's press the dvd while at sea. I know this came up in the forums Earlier because a person saw something about companys that Rip actual Hollywood movies and they they pressed them on ships. And he just assumed that it was the same with the HK Anime dvd's.

Of course Hollywood is a little worse about going after things then Anime company's are.