Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Legit Anime VS Imports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was at frys today looking at there perfect collection of there anime they have the best selection in my area that I can get with out ordering online. I noticed that the sailor moon season 1 uncut perfect collection was 149.99 + tax wtf I seriously doubt in japan the same box cost that much. On a further note I got the fx copy of GTO my friend got the legit the first part and compaired it to mine he could not tell the different from the two except the price I paied about 35$ + shipping so about 42$ for all 43 epsoides while he paid about 59 to 69 + tax for the first part only. Anyone know why its so expensive here. Even legit in china its not as expensive hell at the airport in japan its about 50 to 75% less and its duty free I think.
Actually in Japan, anime DVD's are way more expensive than even R1's here in North America. You're paying a lot more money for a lot less anime per DVD, believe it or not.
its bad for me cause when I buy series localy like at frys I only do perfect collections or I skip the series unless I know its very good then I might consider singles. I dont know why but I only buy perfect collections Big Grin
in Japan, people earn on average 5000-6000USD a month... so spending 50 dollars US for a DVD with 2 episode is not that much.... while spending 50 bucks on a dvd when you earn 1200 bucks a month hurts.
HOLY SHIT !!!! 60-72k USD Is average over there!?I mean in a year..
thats your conservative average... friend of the family was an english teacher there... 7k USD a month + living expenses.
I think since it's not illegal in China to make the HKs we are buying from this site that it's ok to buy them from here rather than R1. If the R1 companies would release a Subtitle only version I might would consider buying R1s again. I hate dubs of anysort so I don't feel I should support them by purchasing a high dollar dvd when it's only that high because of the Dub. If it's French I want it in French. If it's Spanish I want it in Spanish. If it's made in widescreen I don't want the Fullscreen. And so on. So I feel until they release a cheaper priced dvd without the Dub I will continue to buy them from here and other HK sites. Once in a while I find a good deal on an R1 like my Riding Bean dvd. It was only 17 bux and although it has the Dub I have yet to see it in HK format and it was worth buying it then for 17 rather than wait an eternity for a 7$ HK that might never see the light of day anyhow.
Can't say I agree with any of what Dark just said or his rationale about supporting HK's vs. R1's.

Also, you can still go and buy sub only VHS releases R1 if you feel that strongly about it.
I'm not buying a tape.
When it's a movie or a short series (1 disc), I've always bought the R1 version, but I really hate when companies try to sell series in discs with three or four chapters for 25 dls, even when the whole series could fit in 1 disc. I believe one thing is to support american companies and a very different thing is to make them rich. When we're talking about a more than one disc series, I go with the HK version.
i support vhs highly, the reason being is that there are a lot of anime and live action japanese movies on vhs that are not on dvd. i have a collection of about 360 vhs still. thats why i buy import dvd's i feel i already paid my due's :o
i dont really have any moral highground when it comes to this issue, all i know is that i love anime and if i bought R1s (btw in ireland we get R2 releases like a year after you guys if at all) then id have like 2 seasons of anime opposed to the 20+ ive got now, plus the fact that i am poor and in lots of debt makes the purchase of R1/R2 anime virtually impossible.
ending this HK vs R1 debate before it gets out of hand

thread locked.