Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Miyazaki Fans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I got really into Miyazaki films when Princess Mononoke was released in America. I've been trying to hunt down english subtitled versions of his movies since then.
I've got the following movies so far: (Listed in my order of favorites)
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
My Neighbors the Yamadas (Just ordered from this website)
Grave of the Fireflies

I've seen Pom Poko but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'd like to see The Cat Returns too but it's another title I can't find. Anyone know where I can find some of the rarer Miyazaki films with english subtitles?
I'm glad to hear that you enjoy Miyazaki's movies as much as I do. My wife shares my passion enough to have had Totoro tattooed on her thigh (I am a lucky man).

The first thing I want to point out about your list is that not all of the movies you've listed were directed by Miyazaki. Those are all movies from Studio Ghibli which is the company that he founded but Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbours the Yamadas were both done by other directors.

I strongly recommend getting the Studio Ghibli box set through this site (or another if you really want to) which contains almost all of the movies you've listed there along with Pom Poko (which is not a Miyazaki movie but still very good) and Porco Rosso (which is a Miyazaki movie).

Once you've got that set, you only need to get your hands on Castle of Cagliostro to complete your collection of Miyazaki's movies to date (although I've heard something about a new one very soon if not already).

If you want to continue your collection of Miyazaki productions, you should look for the following TV series: Conan, Boy of the Future - the first season of Lupin III as well as episodes 143 and 144 - Some episodes of Sherlock Hound - and he did some work on Anne of Green Gables.

Just put in a request in the requests section and I'm sure that JJ can get any of these titles for you.
Ive heard that Disney has bought the rights for all the Miyazaki's films and that they should be out sometime early fall ( dont quote me on this )even including many titles that other american companies have already dubbed- such as My neighbor Totoro , grave of the fireflies etc. I personnally have mixed feelings about this, because i know these titles by the english voices they presently have- but on the other hand Disney puts alot of Cash on the line and spends alot of time and they do an excellent job. My personal favorite is "Kikis delivery service " in the Disney dub, Kirsten dunst is perfect for Kiki. As a whole this is a good thing and will get anime out to the general public.

P.S. I think you can also include " The dog of flanders " in your list- Ive been informed by another Miyazaki fan, that he did alot of the background art for this, in his early days--
I've seen the trailor for his new movie. If memory serves correct, I beleive it was called Walking Fortress. And it looks amazing, It really is about a walking fortress, which I can't beleive something drawn AND animated could look so detailed!!!
The Hong Kong DVD people sure had an easy job with some of the Ghibli DVDs. The region 2's were subtitled to begin with...
Quote:Originally posted by DARK OSAMU
I've seen the trailor for his new movie. If memory serves correct, I beleive it was called Walking Fortress.

You might have seen a literal translation. It's Howl's Moving Castle and based on the book of the same title by Diana Wynne Jones.
Disney has had the North American rights to all Studio Ghibli movies for over a decade now. It's only been pressure from SG that got KiKi and Laputa released last year at the same time as Spirited Away.

Disney has been claiming that there isn't an audience and that the cost of producing the other movies for the North American audiences would be a waste of time. Most of the releases that have come out had controversy surrounding them just prior to production. Usually because Disney was going to release the DVDs with dub only and not even include the original language track.

I can go on about this at length but I'll stop here.
Fox has a nice dub of Totoro available. I quite enjoy the voice actors they chose for this release.
Grave of Fireflies was released by Streamline video on VHS. I'm not sure if this is available on an R1 DVD or not (I don't think so).

Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and the rest of the unrleased movies continue to sit in limbo. You will hear rumours about release dates for them but don't believe anything until you see them on the shelves.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto

Grave of Fireflies was released by Streamline video on VHS. I'm not sure if this is available on an R1 DVD or not (I don't think so).

Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and the rest of the unrleased movies continue to sit in limbo. You will hear rumours about release dates for them but don't believe anything until you see them on the shelves.

I thought a Collector's Edition Grave had been out for quite a while?

The dub of Porco has reportedly already been completed (Michael Keaton in the title role).

You can pick up Pom Poko on R3, but I doubt it's got an English dub.

For more info: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/
Grave of the Fireflies has been out on DVD for a while now.

They were supposed to be near done dbbing Porco Rosso and Nausicaa. But the R2 or R3 english dub of Porco Rosso was not bad anyways.
Castle of Cagliostro is a godly movie. Find it and buy it. Simple as that.

I would like to second how stunning Howl's Moving Castle looks.
Whatever happened to Tokyo Godfathers? that come out yet?
I only have Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I really enjoyed them both. I might pick up the Ghibli set that's out some time.
Quote:Originally posted by xzafixz
Whatever happened to Tokyo Godfathers? that come out yet?

It's at the theaters in some of the bigger cities- to the best of my knowledge- its not on dvd yet
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
Disney has had the North American rights to all Studio Ghibli movies for over a decade now. It's only been pressure from SG that got KiKi and Laputa released last year at the same time as Spirited Away.

Disney has been claiming that there isn't an audience and that the cost of producing the other movies for the North American audiences would be a waste of time. .

Hard to really say-- Disney though that POS of theirs ( treasure planet ) was going to be a big hit- rather than the big bomb it turned out to be- and kind of hid Spirited away under a bushel basket- until it won Best Animation last year-- then they tried to soak it for all it was worth by releasing it afterwards- now this is just an opinion-- but I'm betting they will dub and release a few more of them , because of the money there pulling in from Spirited away-- After all the dough they made from S.A- they would be stupid not to do more- I bet Walt is turning over in his grave over this !
does anyone know why the cat returns dvd, which is currently in stock, has 2 discs? the review mentions something about two movies but theres no real mention of what is goin on on the second disc
Pages: 1 2 3