Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Sugestion for 'darker' anime...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, so can you guys recommend some anime in the same vein as Serial Experimental Lain, Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom.
I do enjoy lighter anime, like Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop. But I'm sure there are other great series that I havent had the chance to know.
Thanks in advance!

Later
Cyber City Oedo 808
"Dark" Anime?

Berserk. Hellsing. X.

I'm tired now. I'm going to bed. Mind's not working.
You want darker anime?

You could try Initial D... most of the scenes are at night so it's pretty dark most of the time...

Although I think you were referring to the tone of the anime.

If you enjoy old school anime, the original Vampire Hunter D is one of the darker titles out there.

Some would argue that Evangelion is a pretty dark series.

I'll second the votes for both Berserk and Hellsing (although not X... only because I haven't seen it yet). Both of those series play up the anti-hero thing very well.

For a shorter video that is very dark, check out Blood: The Last Vampire. My only complaint with this title is that it feels like there is a lot more to the story that you don't get to see.

If you don't mind a bit of sex, you could check out Kite or Mezzo Forte. Both of them are quite good movies that happen to have a bit of graphic sex in them.

I hope this helps.
I disagree about Mezzo Forte. It's not really dark at all. A little strange, yes.
I'm surprised that you don't feel Mezzo Forte was dark.
Having young characters like that packed in a world with extreme violence and sex seemed pretty dark to me.

It's been a while since I've watched it though... maybe I'll watch it again and see if my impression changes.
Key the Metal Idol was a dark anime.
Kousetsu, Avenger and Chrno Crusader although they are still showing in Japan
Vampire Princess is pretty good too.
She The Ultimate Weapon...don't know if it's dark but it's depressing...

Angel Egg ... Dark , Slow Moving, Cerebral and Weird
I highly recommend Perfect Blue. Other dark anime: Dark Minds, Vampire Wars, Wicked City, Lily Cat, Demon City Shinjuku, UrotsukudojiBerserk, Evangelion, Noir, Now and Then Here and There. It all depends on your definition of Dark.
Berserk.
Berserk (anime AND manga)
Boogiepop Phantom
Lain
Eva
Blue Gender
Vampire princess miyu
Vampire hunter BL
Metropolis (get the R1 because HKDVD quality sucks(had the AS))
The oriental horror movie in IA?
You can't go wrong with Berserk. Personally it's my favorite anime series to date.
I plan on getting Vampire Princess Miyu, which I hear rocks.
I have Vampire Hunter D: BloodLust, which is quite good.
Although I've only seen about 3 episodes, BoogiePop Phantom it's good too.
As for X, I've seen it, & the only thing dark about it seems to be the fact that no matter what the main character can't change the future. It's based on a cool concept, but to me fell 10 stories short of a good show, although it has nice fight scenes.
Tekkaman Blade isn't exactly dark but it is about a guy who can't remember things like Wolverine from X-Men...And it is generally not a happy show. Man I love that show!

Mezzo Forte is also in a cut format without the sex...because even with it cut out you still get the point. And the sex is really not part of the plot either.

Definitely Berserk...although it pales compared to the manga.

Akira...I love that movie but it pales compared to the manga as well.

Any anime based on a Clamp manga is probably a good bet to be dark...and a good bet it's gonna suck, cuz I hate Clamp.

You could give Lodoss War a try. I love it too and it's a great adventure to watch!
Quote:Originally posted by DARK OSAMU
Any anime based on a Clamp manga is probably a good bet to be dark...and a good bet it's gonna suck, cuz I hate Clamp.

Last I checked, Card Captor Sakura isn't dark, buddy.
Pages: 1 2