Import Anime Forums

Full Version: FLCL FX - Who has it? Question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced playback hiccups with this one. Does anyone have a copy that plays flawlessly?
The only playback problem I had was a very, very slight pause during the layer change. Thats it, thats all. The rest was perfect.

Got it from here and my DVD player is Panasonic RV-32.
that goes ditto for me except i've got a panasonic dvd-f61 instead
On one of my friends dvd player, it won't play past episode 3. Another friend's player won't play it at all. Both my computer and both dvd player's play it flawlessly. I only have one friend who can play the disc and for some reason there's alot of skips and hiccups during various parts of the disc. Also, when it hits the end credits, he can only hear the bass on Ride On Shooting Star. I didn't preview the disc before lending it (since I already watched it numerous times via-adult swim and digisubs) and just took it off my backlog pile for my friends to borrow, so when they told me the various errors, I had to see for myself. I've watched it from start to finish 6 times (3 times in english and 3 in japanese) and it plays perfectly.
Hrm, ok. I'm sure mine pauses because of the scratches on it, because it's pauses at the same times on both my stand-alone players, xbox, and ps2. I guess I'll send it back for an exchange and try my luck. If I get the same problem, then I'll just keep it.

Btw, how do I go about exchanging stuff? Do I just send Joe a PM?
um, i'm pretty sure you can't exchange it because of scratches as i've NEVER had a disc come from jj that had scratches on it. but give him a PM and see what he says. i have a feeling you are SOL though
It's for the flawed playback, which I think is a result of the scratches. Sounds like a fair argument to me, and Joe seems like a fair person. To suggest every DVD Joe sends out is flawless because that's been the case with you is extremely near-sighted. Anyhoo, I'll send him a PM and try my luck.
Quote:Originally posted by zabuza
It's for the flawed playback, which I think is a result of the scratches. Sounds like a fair argument to me, and Joe seems like a fair person. To suggest every DVD Joe sends out is flawless because that's been the case with you is extremely near-sighted. Anyhoo, I'll send him a PM and try my luck.

But the thing about it is.. If the scrath causes the playback problem then its not a Flawed disc.. because the disc would work otherwise.. And i am not doubting you.. but if someone gets a disc and then scrathes it accidently and then it won't play why should JJ give you a return for it? I am not saying that this happened.. But with flawed disc they wont' play no matter what the user does.. So with scratches i don't see your analagy that you should get a refund because you don't know if you did it or not.. but i am not accusing your or saying anything like that.. I am just giving my analagy..

Just basically so you think JJ should replace every disc that gets scratched and can't play anymore? even if they are not defective discs.. Also i have known and seen many PS2 scratches discs.. And that is why i don't like playing dvd's in PS2's.. i have even seen them ruin game discs..
I bought the FLCL disc from FX a few months ago from here and have since watched it numerouse times on my JVC TH-A30 and PS2. The set plays flawlessly from beginning to end...the only problem I had was that my DVD player would hum very loudly when the disk was playing (as well as Love Hina FX TV set) Problem went away when watched on the PS2...even though they do have some problems scratching discs (not mine yet anyway)
No problems with mine, but I've only tried it on my cheapie player, which seems to play almost any disc perfectly, no matter how screwed up it is.
Schultz,

You have a point. I didn't think about it that way, and realize now it's clearly an easy thing to wrongly take advantage of.

I did PM Joe and he authorized an exchange, so he's given me the benefit of the doubt. Very gracious, and very much appreciated. Smile

Re: The PS2 scratching discs issue - that happens with early model PS2's, it's the same reason why a lot of their lens units fail after time. The laser isn't calibrated properly to read DVDs so it make contact with the discs, wearing down the lens and damaging the DVD at the same time. Unbelievably poor manufacturing, I'm surprised Sony hasn't given new PS2s to everyone with an early model unit.
do you have any idea what model numbers this occurs on? i don't use my ps2 for watching dvds but for playing games (what a concept! Smile) but most of the games i play are on dvd media. i'm not sure what model mine is but i'd like to know if i should be careful or if mine won't be prone to this sort of damage.
Anything earlier than v5 *may* be prone to difficulties reading discs later down the road. There are people out there who have launch units working perfectly fine, so I guess it depends how lucky you are. I don't remember the exact model numbers off the top of my head, but I think if you did a search on google it'd be fairly easy to find out. I'd say if you bought your PS2 isn't much more than a year old you probably have a v5+ unit, but I couldn't know for sure. :p