Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Space Pirate Captain Harlock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought Harlock Saga some time ago ( R1) love it , and latter bought Arcadia of my Youth ,( R1 in japanese- more primative animation, but gives a good foothold and for captain harlock ) Ive heard " Space Pirate Captain Harlock was released in 2002- and that the R1,s will be starting shortly. My question: is there any source to pick this up as a hk rip- i like the japanese better- and I cant see waiting for the R1's to straggle in- I also heard there changing his name to Captain Herlock ( stupidist thing they could do ) and since its been out for over a year someone somewhere must be making it for sale as a region 0-
Thanks for all your help. Big Grin
I heard that the name change has to do with licensing rights or the way it's translated or something like that. Kinda like with Lupin and Rupan.
Hi, just to clear up the confusion about the "Herlock" name, this way of spelling the name was used only once in the early 80's for a novel so it's not because of liscensing issues.

Even Leiji Matsumoto himself has recognized that both spelling (Harlock/Herlock) are right.

As for the Lupin/Rupan spelling, when the character was first created by Monkey Punch, Japan wasn't enforcing international copyrights laws so when the anime was imported outside of Japan by Streamline (and later) Animeigo, the name was changed. Lupin is loosely translated as "wolf" and the Japanese spelling of the name is "Rupan".

KF