Import Anime Forums

Full Version: FLCL versions, quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The "unknown" version of the FLCL Perfect Collection is rated highly and the MAC version is in the review section, but has no ratings. Based on the updates, I think JJ sometimes sells an FX version.

What version does JJ sell, and how is the quality? The same as the "unknown"?

Also, I saw FLCL in the store recently, but now it's gone. I'm guessing that the store reflects current stock. So to minimize shipping, I should wait until I see all the items I want in the store at the same time, yes?

Thanks,
LB
I think the unknown version is the FX version (I'm probably wrong though). I'm pretty sure that the new MAC version is a rip of this "unknown"/FX rip. The set is really good quality. There are some cases of pixilation and for some reason it will only play on my dvd players (2 of my friends couldn't play past episode 3 on theirs). Either way, the video quality is great.

To anwser your other question, I think you can ask JJ to hold the stuff currently in stock until the other stuff get's in, or you can even ask him to hold that stuff and reserve the out of stock stuff that will most likely be restocked in the next shipment. You should e-mail him if you wish to do this.
I will have it back in stock either today or tomorrow
the FX set could have been better, video wasn't perfect. The original source had awesome video so naturally a rip of it should should look good as well but they did screw up on the transfer on some parts, some pixelation and blurry video. I'm also disapointed the didnt include the subs for the directors commentary, why even include the audio for it then. Its a good set that I would recommend getting especially since the r1s are so damn expensive but its far from perfect.
I just finished watching it a few minutes ago. I consider myself picky when it comes to video issues, but I was very satisfied with the overall visual quality of this release. There are two issues I noticed that might annoy some people, though:

1.) Some episodes get blurry with somewhat muddled colours. This can happen in mid-episode and usually goes back to normal in the same episode. It didn't bother me too much.

2.) There is some pixelation during extremely fast-moving scenes. There were several instances when I noticed it - twice during the manga sequences and once during the "normal" parts. Neither lasted for more than a few seconds, if even, so it might account for 1% of the entire series. I'm watching on a Norcent DP300, 24" Sony Wega with standard RCA cables, so those watching with HDTV sets might be able to notice it more.

It's a solid release. The subtitles are almost perfect, not one grammatical error at all. Timing is perfect, except for two occurrences where the subs disappear rather quickly, but they were short sentences and I was able to read 'em before they went away. I'd add a review if I knew how (try as I might, I just can't find the "Add Review" option anywhere).

I was wondering something, though... the video paused several times throughout the duration of the anime, I think due to visible scratches on the DVD itself. Should I bother sending it back, or do these issues come with the territory? I noticed people get a lot of playback issues (freezing, hiccups), so if it's an unavoidable occurrence then I'll take what I've got and leave it be. However, if it's possible to get a DVD that plays without any hitches at all, then I'd like to exchange for one of those. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by zabuza
It's a solid release. The subtitles are almost perfect, not one grammatical error at all. Timing is perfect, except for two occurrences where the subs disappear rather quickly, but they were short sentences and I was able to read 'em before they went away. I'd add a review if I knew how (try as I might, I just can't find the "Add Review" option anywhere).

When you click on the item.. And then select the reviews there will be a Add Review Link at the very top of the page next to the title of the series.. But you have to be logged into the site and not the forums since they are two different logins.. You will see the
Join | Username: Password right under the Import-anime.com banner..
Quote:But you have to be logged into the site and not the forums since they are two different logins

Ah, no wonder. Thanks.
The pixelation happens at the later half of episode 2, it reminds me of the old bebop set, blurry video happens in episode 3. The video in the rest of the series is excellent.

If anyone is interested I got timed subs for the directors commentary.
Yeah, the blurriness is really apparent when Naota and co. are eating the curry at the dinner table. It goes away after awhile and it really didn't bother me too much. That was the only scene I really noticed, then again I usually don't pick up on stuff unless it's very noticable.
Quote:If anyone is interested I got timed subs for the directors commentary.

VERY interested.
Quote:If anyone is interested I got timed subs for the directors commentary.

I too am also interested as well.
just PM me your email addresses and I'll send it to you but the subs are split into each episode so you need to join them together and fix the timing a bit for it to be in synch with the fx dvd.
Quote:I'm also disapointed the didnt include the subs for the directors commentary, why even include the audio for it then.

Did the R1s include the subs for the commentary? I don't know if they did or not (I didn't notice).