Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Extras? Or Better Video Quality?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently purchased the FX Bebop set. I watched through all of disc 1 today (I've already watched it all in R1 DVD and R1 DVD-rip DivX format about 3 times I think), and I couldn't help but notice that the video quality for the Extra section was far superior to the video quality in the episodes. Sure, the episodes were still better looking than DivX rips, and probably slightly better than the FX Trigun set, but I couldn't help but think that, had the extras not been included, couldn't the video quality for the episodes have been higher?

Also, it looked as if the encode had been done in CBR, so some scenes suffered more than others... as well as everything looking somewhat fuzzy and not as sharp as the R1s.

Which would you choose? Nice extras? Or no extras and better video quality? CBR or VBR?

Another question: would removing the extras provide enough space on the DVD to improve the episode quality, or would it not be enough?
Welcome to FX's bad re-encoding!

Personally, i don't think the extras would have made enough of a difference to change the video noticable, because it is a CBR. If they used a VBR, like they should have, it might be a ton better.
Yeah the episodes of the FX Bebop set is encoded in CBR, average bitrate of 3.5 mb/s. There is suppose to be a new remastered set with better video but I haven't seen that. Also looking at the extras of the Bebop set it seems that fx did not compress the video at all. The average bitrate for all the extras is way above 6 mb/s and it is in VBR. Not including the extras would have improved the video but if it was still in CBR their still would be alot of pixelation.

I like extras but I could live without them, what I find to be a complete waste is when fx puts in trailers for other shows in their sets. The newer fx sets have much better video quality IMO, they are encoded in VBR and their is alot less pixelation in them.

MAC doesn't usually include extras and the video for most of their own rips are excellent.
Quote:Originally posted by matthewmalay
There is suppose to be a new remastered set with better video but I haven't seen that. Also looking at the extras of the Bebop set it seems that fx did not compress the video at all. The average bitrate for all the extras is way above 6 mb/s and it is in VBR.

I like extras but I could live without them, what I find to be a complete waste is when fx puts in trailers for other shows in their sets. The newer fx sets have much better video quality IMO, they are encoded in VBR and their is alot less pixelation in them.

MAC doesn't usually include extras and the video for most of their own rips are excellent.

How can I tell if something's a newer FX set? Isn't all of the stuff being sold at Import-Anime supposed to be the most recent releases?

I definitely don't care for extras that much, I can tell you. And yeah, my MAC Giant Robo set had EXCELLENT video quality.

Then again, reading the reviews, everyone seems so happy with FX sets. I'm not particularly impressed with the video quality, but the sound and subtitles are great.
That's a hard question. I love the extras on Mac's Kenshin collection, but then again I had NO (ok, only one scene & that was for like less than a second) problems with the video, but I guess in the case of there being not top video & has extras, I guess I'd say cut the extras. This goes double if they're just advertisments.
I feel that in HK anime, the most important things in order are:

1. Subs
2. Picture Quality
3. Audio quality 5.1/Inclusion of English Audio as a bonus
4. Extras
Quote:Originally posted by kodochafan

1. Subs
2. Picture Quality
4. Extras

I agree exactly.
Quote:Originally posted by kodochafan

1. Subs
2. Picture Quality
4. Extras

i absolutely agree. but something i've noticed as i've read through reviews is that people consistently mark down the audio because 5.1 was not included when in most r1 releases, there was no 5.1 audio to begin with. personally i think that if you're going to complain that there isn't 5.1 audio you should check and see if the r1/r2 release had it to begin with.
personally i think dvd extras are a plain novelty and i dont even bother with them anymore unless i am really, and i mean REALLY bored. extras are only really worth it if you are a real hard-core fan of a movie or an anime.

so without a doubt i would choose better quality video, sound and certainly subtitles over a few lame extras that are mere novelty