Import Anime Forums

Full Version: SWM seeks Space Opera for fun, walks on the beach.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking for a good space opera epic for a while now and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. The one that I've seen the most about is Crest Of The Stars and if anyone can comment on that as well, that would be fabulous too. Not really looking for mech-type stuff, just a nice involving story with lots of big-ass ships and good characters. Thanks.
Crest of the Stars is pretty good, I enjoyed the characters developments far more than the space battles, those seemed to get monotonous quite quickly but then I'm really not into battles much... it was a rather long series as well... and didn't really have a definitive ending.

Have you looked at Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop? Both of those are set in space, so is Galaxy Express 999 (although the artwork isn't as up to date as the newer stuff) Nadesico was set in space, it is sort of a comedy type, my daughter enjoyed it a lot... shrug... any of the Gundams would qualify for being set in space as well...
Gundam would qualify as mecha, which s/he's not looking for Tongue
that would be correct, and that would also be a HE-MAN!
Doesn't Crest of Stars continue into the Banner of the Stars series?
Best Space Epic: Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV Tongue
Quote:Originally posted by JunkieJoe
Best Space Epic: Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV Tongue

highfive JJBig Grin
Quote:Originally posted by napalm68
Doesn't Crest of Stars continue into the Banner of the Stars series?

Yes it does. Plus Crest of the Stars Birth and Special Edition which is just a recap of the first season albeit shortened.
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
Gundam would qualify as mecha, which s/he's not looking for Tongue

So Gundam is totally mecha? Macross and Robotech would certainly fit into that category for sure. Does the various Gundam anime (Seed, Wing, etc.) or does it not also contain romance, drama, character development, etc.? Which is also what he/she was looking for... I just offered some suggestions, they will have to look into each one more closely to see whether they are interested in it or not... which is much better than having one suggestion to go on. Sometimes you can overlook the mecha if the storyline is good enough, like Escaflowne has mecha which is a part of the storyline, but it isn't the major focus of it.
Gundam revolves around the mecha is the thing. There's a background story, like in SEED with Cagalli and Asuran, but the entire first episode is nothing but them trying to steal the Gundams. There are mecha in every single episode. Sure, there are some big battleship battles later on, but they're happening at the same time the Gundams are out doing battle -- which gets most of the main screentime.
as soon as i read epic space opera the first thing that jumped to mind was Legend of the Galactic Heroes:

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,644,u...the_g.html

some people swear by this anime, while others hate it. personally i haven't seen it yet but i plan on checking it out. the MI release is supposed to have good subtitles according to the ANF forums while the ac/mac one got a good review here.

might want to do some reviewing before you pick it up. from what i've seen from people it's mostly about the characters/politics/etc and not so much space battles.
Quote:Originally posted by Amethyst
like Escaflowne has mecha which is a part of the storyline, but it isn't the major focus of it.

This may not help, but anyways:

Escaflowne the series, didn't focus on the mecha stuff much, which did kinda disappoint me. It was FULL of drama, but the only thing about space is that a CD flew from earth to gaia (i think was the land) by itself, & They look up into it every now & then.

Now Escaflowne the Movie is a different story. I think the Mecha is shown for a good 10-15 mins through out the whole movie, & atleast one of the characters goes through a dramatic change; the only problem is his chage of ideas happens within 5 mins with no real development.

So, if you want drama, love, love triangles, definetly go Escaflowne. It's a bit girlyish sometimes, but good none the less.
If you are into something more thought provoking that involves space, then definitely check out The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This show spans well over 100 episodes and it set almost completely in space. There are just huge minions of ships and lots of battles going on, as different factions fight each other for control. No mecha involved.

You won't regret watching it all, trust me. Smile

Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestion of Legend Of Galactic Heroes, it sounds perfect, I'll check it out if possible (cough, Joe, carry this title, cough).

And I watched about half of Escaflowne before I just got too bored to continue. No offense to fans of the series, i'm sure it's fine, but it was not my bag of tea. None of the characters really caught my interest...
I agree with : Cowboy bebop and Outlaw starSmile
Pages: 1 2