Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Copy DVD = HK DVD ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what's the deal with the groups who release DVDR anime titles and HK DVD ? are they the same ( pirated anime DVDs & bootleg HK DVDs) ? and is there any connections ??

for example: Slayers Try Vol. #01 (DVDR)

/http://www.nforce.nl/nfos/clear_txt.php?id=52658

Pretear Vol 1

/http://www.nforce.nl/nfos/clear_txt.php?id=52656

don't get me wrong, but how can anyone download 4.6 GB from servers for free !!! .

is there no catch ? Bandwidth cost is not cheap or is it ?
A lot of people have DSL flatrates. So you have a max of 768 Kbit/s download speed and no time- or size-limits. If connection is optimal you can download 300 MB/h. Just start your download, go to work, and if you're lucky some 16 hours later you've downloaded the DVD.
DVD-R release groups and HK DVD's are very different. While in fact, both are basically pirated anime, DVD-R release groups usually don't have the quality that HK DVD's have and once a series get's licensed, they usually stop distrubuting it (although, just like digisub release groups, some still release them and may even release the R1 rips). They're releases are usually just the episodes with burnt in subtitles (most of them release 13 Episodes per disc) and maybe a menu. They're basically VCD's with more storage space. Imports usually have less episode per disc ratio's and have removable subtitles and in many cases switchable audio (Jap and Eng audio to be more accurate). DVD-R releases are usually cheaper (I've seen them at $7 a disc (including shipping). While imports are also usally $7-8 a disc (without shipping), the DVD-R's usually have a lower number of disc's (13/1 ratio for the DVD-R's and 7-8/1 for the imports). That ends up in significant savings and usually, most American fans don't mind in the burnt in subtitles, since they would be on all the time anyway. I sometimes pick up a DVD-R from a release group, but most of the time I'd rather just download episodes since that's the exact same source they use. HK's also have nice gatefolds to display while DVD-R groups will usually give you a white slipcase or a blank jewlcase to put the discs into.

As for those links you posted. Those are just the nfo files. They come with the releases and tell the basic information (release group, people involved, short snippet of series/movie/game and other tidbits like number of discs, size of file, name of file, etc.). You actually have to use a sharing program to download these files (newsgroups, mIRC, etc.). So your not really downloading them from servers, your sharing them like you would on Kazaa or WinMX (peer to peer).
Use a good conversion program and make your own damn dvds-it's what I do from good quality fansubs-I prefer to work with h.264 ones for that reason.
zrdb Wrote:Use a good conversion program and make your own damn dvds-it's what I do from good quality fansubs-I prefer to work with h.264 ones for that reason.

WOW! Chill on bringing up the old threads!
zrdb Wrote:Use a good conversion program and make your own damn dvds-it's what I do from good quality fansubs-I prefer to work with h.264 ones for that reason.
You still won't hit the quality of how the disc looks with any burnt dvd since HK's are real DVD's pressed along with decent boxart. But anyways another thread closed due to it being anciant.