Import Anime Forums

Full Version: How the quality of othere gatefolds compare to the FX's ones?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just receive my first HK DVD, 2 Fx set and I was VERY surprised by the quality of it and found them WAY nicer than normal legit DVD set.

But does this apply only to the Fx sets, or are all the packaging the same?
It depends. Sometimes their covers blow (Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne) and sometimes they completly rock (the new Love Hina).

It's a mix, but I found more often then not their aren't that great. Like Sailor Moon S has SUCH GREAT R1 packaging that MI and MAC used, but FX made their own which is horrible in comparison.
I think both sailor moon gatefolds are good but thats just my opinon.
I think that you will find that for pure quality fx gatefolds are the best, though they may not always have the best art. They are sturdy and well made. The sets by mac are almost as good but they are a bit small and flimsy. Their slip cases are also a little trubelsome sometimes since they are almost exactly the same size as the gatefold, which makes them a little tricky to get on. The worst gatefolds in my experince are MI's. They are as good as mac and fx in all but one area. Their locking mechanisms that hold the dvds in the gatefold are beyond cheap. When i got my Excel Saga Set each broke the first time i took the dvd out. I could never get them back inside no matter how hard i tried. Thats just pathetic! My opinon, stick with mac and fx.
Anyone know if the FX Trigun and Cowboy Bebop gatefolds are nice looking?
I can vouch for the Bebop ones. They look really great. Look on eBay, and you are bound to find some sellers that show the set's inside.
[Image: CowboyBebopPC02.jpg]

Is that the one? That's pretty slick looking.
Yep, that's the one!
Nice, can't wait until I get mine.
I just got Bebop, Trigun, and Escaflowne all FX.

One thing I can say is, I'm glad they don't use annoying DVD holding mechanisms such as those found on MI sets and my Giant Robo MAC set. Easy to get the DVDs out, easy to put them back. Although if you're going to be moving the sets around a lot, they might come loose.

Bebop and Trigun had amazing gatefold covers, and the DVDs were amazing too. Escaflowne had a somewhat worse cover, but the insides were pretty good.

All in all, from what I've bought so far FX sets seem to have the best gatefolds...then again, I only have one MAC set. -_-;
I can comment on Mac.

My Generator Gawl set thingy's disc keep coming loose, I don't even think it holds them still at all.
While my Kenshin set doesn't like you to take the disc out once they're in there :S. I'm always scared I'm going to break my disc.
Yeah the Mac ones either don't hold the disk at all or else u have to yank the disk out so hard u think you are gonna crack it in 2. V_V
I don't have a whole lot of HK sets, but I have noticed that with mac also. Some of them will no longer hold discs in and I've only taken them out a couple times X-P. After seeing the differance in quality of FX and MAC I told myself that I won't buy another MAC set unless they're the only ones that make that one.
Wow, just got Trigun and Bebop sets, the quality of these just amazes me.