Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Favourite classic video games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to know what peoples favourite classic video games are.
I'm going to place a few restrictions on this request:
1st) Console, handheld, or arcade games only - no computer games.
2nd) Must be at least one generation old - no PS2, X-Box, or GameCube games.
3rd) I want to know what makes it one of your favourite games. Is it the game play, the graphics, or a really great memory that makes it stand out?
My all time favourite multiplayer game has to be Bomberman '93 on the TG-16. I would play that all night long with my room mates drinking beer and laughing in a way that I've never done with any other game.

I also have a soft spot for Combat from the Atari 2600 because it was the first real video game I played with my friends competitively.

In the arcade, I remember dumping endless quarters into Cliffhanger just so I could get to the end of the story (which was edited from Castle of Cagliostro which is one of my favourite movies).
Mine is Shining Force III for the Sega Saturn. I've always been a fan of Shining Force games, and this is the best one. I love everything about them Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, etc. Some of my other favorites include Keith Courage, Alien Crush, Ys Book I & II, Dragon Force, Lunars, and of course Demon Attack!
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64 is my favourite game of all time. The dreamy title screen; the sight of the sun rising/setting over Hyrule Field; Epona clearing the fence to freedom; the phantom Ganon leaping from picture to picture; Link having to reach up to grasp a door handle...You get the idea. Excitement, fear, sadness and joy. Just one of the games that goes beyond gaming and into experience. Magic.

Bubbling under: SFII - I was average at best, but it took over my life; SMB3 - my favourite of the Mario series; Zelda: LTTP - totally absorbing.
My favorite classic game is chrono trigger. Best RPG ever!
Well my favorite classic games would fall into these categories:

Nintendo:

Super Mario Bros (the game is classic)

The Legend of Zelda (this game destroyed what I thought of video games. It was an epic quest)

Super Mario Bros 2 (technically not a mario game, but still very fun)

Castlevainia/Dracula (Y'mean I get to whip the hell out zombies and frogmen with a whip? I'm there!)

Super Mario Bros 3 (probably one of the best games of all time. Racoon and Hammer Bros suit oh yeah!)

Megaman 1-4 (I get to eliminate other robots using stolen powers. Awesome)

Super Nintendo:

Super Mario World (now I get to have a cape and fly through the air, AND a dinosaur!)

The Legend of Zelda ( another link adventure I'm there)

Chrono Trigger (@_@)

That is my list for now.Big Grin
for me i absolutly loved
SMB3 and Legend of Zelda

but on my SNES i would have to say i loved
Chrono Trigger.. i don't know how many times i played through this damn game.. i think / hopefully got all the endings.. and bitched evertime i wanted to do it with Chrono only because it was a pain in the ass until you got really really high level..

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.. I spent so many countless nights working on this game to get a Perfect game.. Meaning no turning off my SNES to save and quit (since this counted against yea) or dieing.. Nothing.. i would pause it and go to sleep and then continue to play through it again.. If i would die at anytime in the game i woudl restart.. that even included when i was fighting gannon.. ;o) but i eventually did it.. suprised my SNES didn't give out on me with this one.. it was on for a LONG time..

I also spent alot of time on FFIII this is the one that really got me into the series.. since i couldn't stand FFII.

And of course Super Mario World.. what fun it was to try and get every world unlocked..
JOUST...that's all I have to say.
hi, My favorite classic game of all time is JOE AND MAC. That game was amaizing.
i diddnt start playing video games untill i was 17 and so while i excel at 3D adventure games and rpgs i am horrible at oldshool titles and dont really care to play most of the old rpgs anyways. but for me xenogears was my all time favorite game, ive never been so captivated by the story of a game.......although zelda on 64 had the best gameplay i have expierenced to date. Smile
NES: The Legend of Zelda
SNES: A Link to the Past / Super Robot Wars 3
N64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask
Genesis: Sonic 3
Dreamcast: Capcom vs SNK 2 / Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Story
Neo Geo: There's quite a few Neo Geo games I like. It would take me a while to list them all. >_>
Playstation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Nuff said.

Bah. Now I have to tell you WHY? Tongue

I'm just a mondo Zelda fan. Really. It was one of the first games I remember playing, and to this day I'm still addicted. That should explain all the Zelda games up there.

Super Robot Wars 3 was actually translated by a guy I know, and I have a blast playing through it. I mean, it's a universe where Gundam and Mazinger exist together. If your computer can run ROMs and Emulators, be sure to grab the Japanese ROM of this and I'll toss ya the patch for the English Translation.

I don't know why, but Sonic 3 always stood out to me to be excellent. Perhaps it was the new graphics in the game, or the new shields. Not quite sure.

I'm an SNK fanboy at heart. With SNK reopening its doors in the US, it only brings back my love for them. Oh yeah, and they're gonna release Samurai Showdown Zero stateside. x)

... Gundam's self explanitory.

If you haven't played Symphony of the Night, you really need to. It mixes all the previous Castlevania games and then slaps an RPG element in there. Add in some really cheesy voice acting, and you have yourself a perfect game. x)
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun

I'm an SNK fanboy at heart. With SNK reopening its doors in the US, it only brings back my love for them. Oh yeah, and they're gonna release Samurai Showdown Zero stateside. x)

If you haven't played Symphony of the Night, you really need to. It mixes all the previous Castlevania games and then slaps an RPG element in there. Add in some really cheesy voice acting, and you have yourself a perfect game. x)

I can't wait for Samurai Showdown!Wink Wink

There was a game I forgot to add on to my list as well: Super Mario Kart. That game is a classic in every sense of the word. I can remember entire weekends from Friday to late Sunday just playing the battle mode.Big Grin
My favorite classic games: ^^

SNES= Definately Final Fantasy 6, for the story, music, maturiy of characters, battle system, and most of it the GAMEPLAY; which amkes the game so much addictive

PSX= Castlevania Symphony of the Night, again for the story simple but great, great metal BG music and OSTS cds, also the fact that this is almost the only 2D platform *real* RPG.

Both games have my recommendation and my official seal j/k
My son convinced me to break out my old Sega CD today and I was surprised to find Road Avenger in there still.
Does anyone have any idea what anime all that footage was taken from? I'd love to see the whole story because the animation is lots of fun.
The actual game play is kind of weak (just like all the laser disc games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace) but I still love playing them to watch the story unfold.
Just about all the zelda games, Lunar and Lunar 2 as well..... I like the old sonic games.... and the nes/snes mario games
OK, here are some old school choices:

On the NES: Blaster Master, Castlevania 3, and SMB3, Megaman 1-3, Contra

Pc Engine: R-Type (best shooter ever), Legendary Axe, Alien Crush (whoa! someone else mentioned this!)

Genesis: Shining Force, Warsong, Phantasy star series

SNES: Ogre Battle, Castlevania 4, FF4 and 6, Zelda 3, Contra 3, 7th Saga, Evo (awesome premise)

Neo Geo: Ninja Combat, Magician Lord, Sengoku

Arcade: SF2, Final Fight, Space Gun, Operation Wolf (1st good gun game), Forgotten Worlds, Un Squadron, Simpsons arcade, MK2, NBA Jam (when it first came out)
Pages: 1 2