Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Oldies but Goodies reviews....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Title: Tail Concerto
Developer: CyberConnect.Inc / BANDAI
Publisher: Atlus USA
Type: Adventure
System: PS1

Story: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Music: 10/10
Controls: 7/10
Extras: 8/10
Overall: 9/10

Overview
CyberConnect (Creators of the best games you?ve never heard of ) and BANDAI have teamed up to make one of the most original, innovative, and unforgettable video gaming experiences that, sadly, you probably will never experience. I was lucky to find ONE copy three or four years ago (I think it was fall of 2000) for $30 and I haven?t seen a single copy since. So if you have the cash and you see this title - BUY IT. I promise you won?t regret it.

Story
Leave it up to ATLUS to take a game with a completely original story (See Disgaea, Skygunner, and Persona to name a few ) and bring it to the US. This game places you in the role of Waffle Ryebread (no jokes, please), a policedog hot on the case of the Black Cats Gang. With the help your trusty Police Robo, you chase the Pris Sisters across the land of Prairie. It?s quite similar to FLCL, in the sense that it?s emotional setting will change at the drop of a hat (happy to sad in 3 seconds flat kinda thing). The story is brought to life through OVA quality cutscenes. The dub is excellent (at least, when compared to some of the other dubbed games out today (*cough* ORPHEN *cough* ).

Graphics
Each and every last object is rendered in 3-D and could almost be compared to an early PS2 project (VERY,VERY, early...). All of the animations are quite fluid, at least by PS1 standards.

Gameplay
This game has you capturing kittens and battling the Pris Sisters. Capture all the kittens in a set area, get an item. Fight the Pris Sisters, uncover more of the story. Oh, and speaking of the story, you?re going to want to report back to Porto often to get the entire experience of the game, preferably each time you finish an event (Is there a Castlevania: LOI in the audience?). It?s not perfect, but it?s most certainly enjoyable. Think of it as playing a 5-6 hour long anime movie (Yes, it can be beaten in under 6 hours, and easily at that.)

Music
Always fits the situation. I don?t know who composed it, but they sure did a damn good job of it. Similar to Lunar type music ( best way I can describe it).

Controls
Ugh... this is my biggest gripe about the game. The camera. Why is it that in every single F***ING 3D Platformer ever made, it?s almost certain to have an unresponsive camera. And Tail Concerto has one of THE worst camera angles I?ve seen to date. This is mainly because it takes so long for the camera to keep up with you. Other than that, the controls are very solid.

Extras
Beat the game and you?ll have an opportunity to save a Bonus mode file. How good Bonus mode is depends on how much time you spent with the game. If you took the time to find all of the star boxes you?ll be treated to a complete photo album full of beautiful artwork from the game. You?ll also be able to watch all of the sequences from the game. And remember how I said to par close attention to the story? Well if you did, the bonus mode will provide an excellent closure to the story.

Overall
Despite it?s flaws, it?s an excellent game and a worthwhile addition to anyones collection.

Hands... hurt.... must... rest....
just bought one off ebay for 10$, supposed to be factory sealed. they have more listed if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...egory=3719
Did you get it yet? If so, what did you think? Was it any good or did you hate it?

Be sure to submit your own review in here so people can hear different opinions on the game!
My favorites classic would probably be Chrono Trigger for Snes