Import Anime Forums

Full Version: I need some insight and some opinions!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
DSL or Cable??? What are some of your opinions??? I want to get one or the other, but it all depends on the availability of them considering I live a reasonable distance from my phone company. I know they are both awesome but I just want your opinions.
I liked cable more thsan DSL, mostly because DSL had the stupid Dynamic connection, whereas cable was only on. DSL can also be potentially slower...
Cable is usally cheaper. So that's my vote.
It depends on your area. With DSL, you'll always have a constant set speed. whereas with cable, it's divided among the number of users in your area. So cable could be faster or slower depending on how many users there are in your area. For me, cable is faster than the DSL we had previously.
Are you looking at DSL or ADSL?
There is a difference that most people don't look at too closely. ADSL is fast for you to download from the net but slow to upload through. DSL is fast both ways.
The main factor in speed with any DSL connection is how far you are from the nearest node in their network. The main office may be located miles away but they may have a node planted in your back yard making it super fast. Then again, you could be on the back end of a loop and not be much better off than dial up with your connection.
The main factor with Cable is how many people are running on your providers network. In my dad's neighbourhood, everyone seems to have a cable modem and it is actually slower than my dial up connection more often than not.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find out any of the above information without trying it for yourself. For me, I would have ADSL again (I had to get rid of it to save money) just because the node point is three doors down from my house.
If you live in a community where not many people have cable modems yet, then I would definitely go with the cable connection.

I can't blindly recommend one over the other.
Hmm...thanx guys! You gave me a lot more info through your personal experiences than I could find myself on the net. It's still a tuffy!
dslreports.com

info on both dsl and cable
CABLE BABY! reliable , thick and thin consistent, you can't do wrong with this fat momma. Wink
Cable! I had cable first, then thought DSL would be faster...dohzz....switched back to cable within 3 days. I paid for faster connection blah blah blah for DSL but seems to me my old cable is still much faster at loading up and downloading stuffs. Big Grin
yea DSL sucks, in japan they have crazy 30MBIT down 15MBIT upload but in north america with 1.5MBIT down and 128KBITs upload (thats only 16K!!) u cant compare it to cable... I get 350kBYTESps download and 45-50kBYTESs upload, I moved to a brand new house and alwasy get great speeds (due to fact that no many people have cable in my area i guess... (cause half of my block is still being build heh)

anyhow i am thinking of paying for buisiness connection service, its suppose to be double the speed of what I have now for both upload and download.
It all depends on what time you're on, if you are on during the busy times mainly the cable can be real shitty. However if you are on on non peak time you can get up to T1/T3 speeds on cable service. I actually checked that out myself.
When I used to live in Korea I had ADSL that was super fast... I could usually download at like 200-300 kb / s combined, and upload at maybe 50-75...it was insane!

Now I'm at college with a partial T3 that's firewalled like no tomorrow and student bandwidth is so severely limited people ask me if I'm on 56k. Sad
Well, I'm on 56k, nothing else will reach as far away as I live at this moment, & I've learned that you should be happy wit hthe connection you have unless it's like my one friend's where if he's on MSN messenger & tries to go to a site, it kicks him of the messenger, & takes about 15 minutes to load the page. Big Grin Big Grin :p Big Grin Big Grin :p
Well, my understanding is that cable is faster than DSL, (though DSL is way faster than dial-up), but DSL is far cheaper than cable (I get Version DSL with router and wireless networking for about $37/month). I heard Bell-south is running a DSL deal where it's $9.95/month for 6 months
CABLE f*ck yeah

ive got unlimited d/l limit unlike most UK providers
Pages: 1 2