Import Anime Forums

Full Version: MI has a GTO R1 rip set now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just picked it up the other day- I went crazy on that day since I had seen the review for the MI set on this site, and this one had the same cover. Anyway the back was slightly different. It had yellow text and a different style of writing than any other MI (or hk anime company) DVD.
Was it stupid of me to take this chance? Yeah, but I'd been wanting to watch this for so long, and seeing as I live in Hong Kong it's impossible for me to get the FX set.
Anyway, unlike the set that's being reviewed here this 5 disc set is a perfect R1 rip- English voice, R1 subs and chinese subs thrown in.
The audio is fine, except for some static at times (not really irritating)
Anyway, the english voices suck ass-It doesn't matter if you don't like reading, you just can't deny the fact that the dub makes you want to shoot yourself in the ears. I'm on disc 3 now, but I looked at an episode on disc 5, and that disc has R1 subs (and dub) as well.
Anyway, I'm glad I finally got to watch this series. Even the parts I had already read in the manga seemed all the more touching and funny.
I think I'll go post a review under the MI set here now.
I got hold of this the other day. I have only watched a few episodes - although I have tested all the discs for playability - so I will write a review later, but for now will offer a few observations for prospective buyers.

I bought it off eBay - the listing showed the FX set - and I was naturally surprised to see I received a different set. The packaging is the same as the old MI set, but also has the 'look' of the new MI perfect sets - if that makes sense. I wasn't too worried since I own the MI Berserk and FY sets, which were FX rips. However, I was alarmed to see it contained Chinese subs :eek:

This isn't a straight 1:1 R1 rip or at least it does not resemble the FX set, according the screenshots on the IA reviews.

The title screen is different and the menu is of MI's own making as is the chapter select screen. To be honest it looks a little cheap and 'homemade' and nothing like the R1/FX screenshots.

The English dub is present.

When you press 'play' a short animated scene appears with the MI logo.

There does not appear to be any extras.

The subs are in a white font unlike the yellow of the FX set. Occasionally, the font becomes bolded sometimes for just a line of dialogue. Flicking through the later discs - 4 and 5 - I think the bold font or at least a different white font crops up more regularly. I notice that the FX set had this anomaly.

So, MI seems to have re-typed the subs. They are all in good, clear English and I only noticed one word missing in a line of dialogue in the six episodes I've seen so far. More importantly - and thanks to the reviewers who posted shots of the girl bullies' panties and butts in both the old MI and FX sets - the new MI subs do appear to mirror the FX R1 subs. Those screenshots allow me to compare the old MI, the FX and the new MI.

At no point did I feel confused by the subs. I did notice that in some scenes the subs are more sexually suggestive than the English dub (I listened to a bit of the English language in the first episode and that girl's voice really grates).

Of course this could all change in the later episodes so I will write a detailed review after completing the series - I will focus on comparing the screenshots already posted.

I guess I feel a little cheated, but the six episodes I've watched so far have been magic - I planned to watch two eps a night and watched six straight! - so if all turns out well I'll be okay. I'm not bothered about the extras.

EDIT:

Right, I've finished Disc 1 and went back to do some more comparing and contrasting between the new MI Perfect and the FX.

NOTE: I am using the screenshots posted in the Reviews section as an example of the FX set.

I discovered that:

The font on the new MI and the FX is exactly the same. It goes bold during the same scenes.

It also features the same typos - check out the screenshots of Onizuka grabbing the Vice Principal's tie and the close-up of Onizuka's face when he says: "Ah, Fuyutsuki. No, Ms. Fuyutsukil" (sic). These mistakes are also on the MI set.

The only difference appears to be that the MI subs are white instead of yellow and they are not always placed in the same location on the screen - they are often higher up, e.g. end credits song.
Awww, I was expecting the MI one to be identical except for new packaging. I actually got interested in this show after manga #3. How can I tell the two apart? Anything on the front cover?
Quote:Originally posted by dvd_master
Awww, I was expecting the MI one to be identical except for new packaging. I actually got interested in this show after manga #3. How can I tell the two apart? Anything on the front cover?

So was I!

Anyway, the MI Perfect set has the same front cover as the old MI set - Onizuka with the swirling multi-coloured background.
The old MI set would have DVD details on the lower back that resemble a real DVD- like numbered points for language, a Region ALL logo with the same background as R1/R2 discs. I mean the image of the globe.\The new set has unprofessional looking yellow writing, which says ENGLISH AND CHINESE and DVD VIDEO. The region ALL logo is in a clear circle. Of course you can't check this up when you're buying it online, can you?
Yeah that's too bad. The old MI set was pretty bad- mediocre subs and bluniders where entire episodes lost all their subs. Anyway I don't really care about the extras- this series is great.
sorry to sound dumb, but can someone tell me what mi means etc
MI=Manga International, formely known as Anime Cartoon