Import Anime Forums

Full Version: HK DVD or digisubs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For sets not yet available in R1 DVD.

I usually pick digisubs (fansubs you download from the internet) for new series, the video quality of most new series is usually very good and the subs are always better or at least equal to HKs, they are released super fast, sometimes even one or two days after the episode aired in Japan plus they are free. With the amount of licensing the R1 companies are doing these days might as well download it, check it out and if I like it get the R1s or Perfect sets when it comes out.

For older stuff, then I'll get the HKs like my Maison Ikkoku (which I'm not gonna replace with the R1s cause the quality is already so good) and my Lupin the III 1st TV cause good quality digisubs are hard to find.

I'm sure people with 56K modems will pick HK.
Hey Matt! Long time no type eh?

I voted for both. I like digisubs (for the few I've seen, I have 56k ) and they are for the most part superior. I like my HKs as well because of the awsome boxes they come in. Like the Berserk set and Goldenboy set.
I voted for both, although I prefer Digisubs. I just don't have to time to sit at my computer all the time.Wink
yeah Dark, it's been awhile, hope your computer is working well now. If you want anything I'll send you more digisubs again, my list has grown considerably since the last time Wink

Berserk and GoldenBoy were pretty old shows so no real good fansubs of them on the internet plus R1s are out so thats they way to go for quality, Berserk HK DVDs is awesome though but GoldenBoy dub is very good, definately worth checking out.

Almost all my HKs I'm getting these days are Perfect Collections, that's were the real action is in HK theses days plus the price can't be beat, plus gatefolds are so pretty. I love showing HK haters who diss everything about HKs on other forums on what pretty packaging they are missing out on. For almost every case except movies it is cheaper for me to buy HK than it is to rent the DVDs and copy them on DVD-R which can be a pain and time consuming.

Downloading can be a pain but for brand new releases Bittorrent can't be beat, just so easy to use, get a few torrents running, go to bed and it's done. I downloaded Macross Zero ep3 only 2 days after the DVD was released in Japan plus the digisubs have 5.1 AC3 sound, 20 gigs downloaded on digisubs in November alone. With HK you got to wait until the R2 are out or at least enough episodes have been aired on TV for the HKers to do a TV rip and worry about good subs but then why buy a TV rip when you can download one for free
Although I could just as easily download the R.O.D. TV episodes, I want it on DVD, even though the free AVIs could be just as good quality and the HKs could have horrible subtitles, I bought the MI version (not here yet).

There's something about getting it in your mail, and having an actual DVD with actual packaging and actual menus and removable subs.

I only really download digisubs to see if the show's any good, and if I like it after a few eps (sometimes even after one), I just buy the HK DVD.
My vote: Both.

D/l digisubs where you arent going to see a R1 version (or a R2 with fansubs) from any time soon (aka, a year wait or longer) or where you will never see a R1 version (or a R2 with fansubs)

HK DVD's for the full image glory ( playback on a pc ) ofcourse only when it are good releases (no thank you to engrish & tv ripped dvd's).