Import Anime Forums

Full Version: ...ova
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ya, so i'm looking through the DVD reviews and i keep seeing titles with OVA after them and i realize- i have no idea what that means. Now, i did sit there for a while and try to figure it out with no avail for those of you that think i'm a quitter. Any one that could tell me what's up with the OVA thing i would really appeciate it. thx!
It originally stood for Original Video animation or sometimes OAV. They were originaly released on video or now DVD instead of a TV broadcast. The animation is usually better in the OVAs as well.
OAV's (or OVA) can be three things.

1- continuation of a TV series
2- new adventure with TV series characters
3- brand new story with similar characters only

They are usually really short (like 3 episode, or even 1) and the animation is usually better because they are short.
Where does "Read or Die" fit in? It started as a 3-episode OVA, and has since became a TV series.
ROD started as a manga. They since made an OVA and due to popular demand, they made a TV show out of it.

to continue what DVD_master said, OVAs are also stories not based on any universe (I wish you were here).
think of it like a straight to video release.

I hear lots of OVAs premier on Pay per View TV theses days in Japan
Thx guys. More of the reason for me asking is that i want to get the record of lodoss war and i was wondering if i should get the OVA or the TV=OVA. I like FX but they dont make the TV+OVA, MAC does. Can you offer any help on that subject??:confused:
Ok now this gets a bit confusing, but if memory serves me right the ROLW were based on the novels and the first 10 episodes (of 13) in the oav series are all you need to watch of that episodes 11-13 are redone with additional content from the novel in episodes 1-8 (of 27) of the TV series. You could still watch all the episodes of the oav because they are so incredible, but just keep in mind that they Re-do the last three episodes in the TV series. I hope this helped.