Import Anime Forums

Full Version: How are my reviews?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just started writing reviews not too long ago, I have 4 total now. I was just wondering if you find them useful or not, and how well presented they are. You can find my reviews here.
Well I have the Love Hina Final Selection DVD and the video and audio is far from perfect, the audio has a very annoying hum in it and the video suffers from ugly artifacts and some colour bleeding problems. It looked very compressed.

And your screencaps is just pics taken with a digital camera of your TV. This won't really help people too see if a set has bad video or not. If you got a DVD-ROM you can take screenshots using PowerDVD or WinDVD.
Thank you for your input, but truth to tell what I have to watch it on the video and audio are very nice on my I didn't notice any color bleeding at all in it. Also the audio didn't hum on me at all, granted I can't turn it up to full blast to make sure it doesn't when it real loud I'd probably get evicted from my apartment if I did that, heh. Also yeah those where taken with a dig camera, I have a crappy ass computer running at 266mhz. and DVD rom drive so it would look shitty on here anyways. However I do plan on gettin a better PC(well laptop) in a few months so I'll replace all of them when that happens.
Anybody have any advice on what I left out of my reviews? Also do you think I sould add that I don't have a DVD Rom drive so I can't tell you if the color is washed out or the audio breaks up on them to my reviews?
OK... I just took the time to read through all four of your reviews.

My first recommendation is for you to write your reviews in a word processor before posting them to the web site. You seem to go on a bit about how poor your grammar is and I believe you would benefit from seeing what changes the grammar checker suggests. This will boost your confidence as well as improve your writing over time. Cut and Paste is a wonderful feature.

The second thing is in regards to your reviews of the audio. Make sure to mention if you're watching the video with the English or Japanese dub. Also note if there is more than one dub track to watch (I just finished watching a title with four different English audio tracks on it). Listening to the different audio tracks will also give you some comparison as far as clarity and audio levels are concerned.

The third thing is that you'd be better off not posting any pictures at all rather than use the shots you've taken with your digital camera. Unless there is some horrible subtitle error or graphical mess up that you can't describe with words, wait until you have a DVD rom and a computer capable of doing screen captures. I started on a 350Mhz machine and got some decent screen shots with that.

As you watch more HK DVDs and write more reviews, you will learn your own style and what it is that people are looking for.
In addition to quality, I just learned that some people are very interested to know about opening and ending credits and on a title. On older releases, many would remove all the opening credits except for the first episode and the closing from all but the last episode. This means that they can fit more onto a disc but something also feels like it's missing.

My criticisms are meant to be constructive and I hope to see more reviews from you as time goes on. I'm sure that you will go back and see things differently as you get more experience in your reviews.
That's exactly what I was looking for, ok I won't take any more pics with a dig camera unless either the DVD has really bad Engrish or there just aren't any pics at all of the series/movie. Also I'll run the reviews through the spell/grammer checker sometime soon, and try to update it as best as I can. Thank you very much for you're input it is greatly appriciated.