Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Need some RPG Input
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
why not stop calling it an RPG, since it doesn't seem like one at all. You've already stated many times that it's not like any of the other games of the genre. If you're running around hacking and slashing, how is it any different than soul reaver or Tomb Raider? Because you have experience and different armor values? Those don't make an RPG.

RPGs are games like (as I said before) Final Fantasy, D&D, Rifts etc. Final Fantasy Tactics isn't an RPG, but rather a strategy game, much like Mechwarrior, Risk and "Axis and Allies". In the RPG games, your player makes a choice of what you want to do (Attack, magic, Run, Item, etc), probability is calculated of whether or not you hit, then calculation of how much damage or life is dealt and then, the next player or enemy is up next. A strategy game is similar, but with slight differences, such as is Risk and "Axis and Allies", you control armies and play it more like a board game rather than a life simulation, and in Mechwarrior, you worry about territory and how far you can fire, troop placement (military strategy, hence the term strategy game).

However, from what I can tell in your game, you run around (much like Tomb Raider) and see your enemies and decide whether or not to dispatch them (much like Rayman) and you can use magic spells (much like Soul Reaver). The only difference seems to be the addition of experience...yet how is it going to be doled out? However kills something? Or will everyone gain experience when one person kills something? Lastly, I'd like to reiterate my point, just because you use magic and experience doesn't mean you have an RPG...
Well we're all hoping our game does do all the things you're talking about. You will be able to choose to attack, use magic, use an item, or run away. It's just that everything will happens in real-time instead of you doing it turn based. You have the option of doing all those things, but you must do them quickly, because the monsters won't stop coming at you just because you feel you need to heal. It adds a little more reality to it.

I guess you'd have to play it to really get the feel. The programming will calculate hits and chances to hit. Damage is dealt and is variable depending on the way the game was programmed. As for the experience distribution. I think we decided to allow everyone that is playing to equally distribute the exp. Unless you think an option of you get exp for what you kill to be more to your liking. I remember playing gauntlet legends and my bastard friends would just up their speed to take everything lol.

I agree with games with just magic and experience do not make an RPG. RPGs don't have to have magic to be an RPG, but I still think the experience tables are a key factor. I think each of the character classes you can choose from will have different exp tables. So one character may seem to level up faster than others.

I still believe RPGs have key things that make them RPGs. How you implement the rules in gameplay style doesn't change these rules. Strategy Games that implement the rules of Traditional RPGs are Strategy RPGs to me. My game I agree is more action driven. So, it's an Action RPG. Games like FF are Turn-Based RPGs. Traditional RPGs would make you roll dice and declare every action from entering a tavern to beating up the tavern's owner, and I think world games like Everquest, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, and Star Wars are getting closer and closer to becoming Traditional, except everything is computer calculated and driven, so you don't have to worry about rolling and other tedious commands. They're still all RPGs in my opinion, as long as they keep the basic elements that define RPGs.
Pages: 1 2