Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime is like a women, it gets better with age..heh heh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my humble opinion anime of long ago is way better than stuff today. I'm not really capable of making such a decision I really haven't seen many good new series except for Bebop and EVA (of what I'v seen). Fushigi Yugi and Kenshin are very good as well. Ranma 1/2 is an incredible show spanning most of the 90's. However looking back, the 80's to me is the "golden era for anime". Too much happened, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2 (at least season 1) not to mention Urusei Yatsura (Rumiko Takahashi was in the zone). Dragon Ball followed making for the start of an incredible franchise. Kimagure Orange Road drew many to watch it's intricate love triangle. More in the 70's series like Macross and Yamato certainly showed us a thing or two about space and it's wonders. Don't get me wrong anime from past to present is always going to be amazing however in the word's of my grandfather "they don't make 'em like they used too".
I agree with you.. More of the series that are older are better.. Also they arn't really making them as long as they where.. Most new series i see are either only 1/2 season or barely a full season. Nothing like Dragonball Z or Lupin III Big Grin
Glad to see people agree with me.
anyone seen Galaxy Express? 1979. It's where Harlock and Emeraldas originated. Great anime!!
Never really been a Harlock fan, however I would like to see the original series that is available on fan sub.
Galaxy Express is awesome. I own the R3 DVDs, of the movies anyways. Captain Harlock is God. :-P
From what I can tell, we can expect each decade to provide us with 2 or three top notch series that stand out in our minds. This makes it easier to say that the current stuff isn't as good because it hasn't had enough time to form yet.

I may be a little off on some of the time frames of these but here goes.

Astro Boy stands out for the 60s
Speed Racer, Mazinger, Lupin III, and Gatchaman for the 70s
Robotech, Votoms, and Starblazers stand out for the 80s (no, I'm not going to include Voltron in this list)
Kenshin, Escaflowne, Trigun, and Fushigi Yuugi are some of the highlights of the 90s
So far this century, we have Cowboy Bebop as a stand out but not much else yet.

Now I just threw that list together off the top of my head but from what I can remember, anime has been getting better from decade to decade and we have been getting better and better shows to watch.

If someone has too much time on their hands, it would be neat to see a chronological list of the top broadcast anime. I feel movies and OAVs should be kept seperate from this list.
I agree that time allows fans to grow fonder of a series. Understandably series like Macross have a certain "senority" over newer series. Maybe it's some sort of problem physcological, but never with a newer series, have I said "ok I'll watch one episode, maybe two" and ended watching something like 8.
Quote:Originally posted by "Zagatto"

So far this century, we have Cowboy Bebop as a stand out but not much else yet.

Bebop is 1998. Same year as Trigun
Well it happened with a newer series. Last night I said I would watch 2 episodes of Those Who Hunt Elves. I ended up watching all 6 episodes on the second disc. Finished it right out of the factory seal.