Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Am I wrong...really (A PS2 question)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I come in to work and see a couple of friends playing there Modded PS2 and in there case are all copyed games 24 of them they had brought in... (24 times 50 = $1200 in illegal games) and I said to them it because of things like that... that Sony and Microsoft lost more than $650 million because that is just what nintendo lost
so just take into incount remeber nintedo has the hardest system to rip off as far as I know.
But then look at me and say, "But you buy ripped off DVD's..." I reply, "No I buy HKDVD of anime I can't get in R1..." then I have to explain R1 ones to them... they aren't the brightest... Anyways they say to me that I am doing the same as they are. I don't think that I am what say you...
Just a little FYI where it says

what nintedo lost

that is a link to there I got the 650 million figure
It's only the same if you are buying R1 rips. We all know how I feel about copying copyrighted material. Smile
Though anybody who thinks that bootlegs don't hurt the video game industry, look at the DC. :eek:
Well at least you get a receipt saying you really did pay money for your HKs. So HKs are still more legitamate than actually Stealing it. It's still can be considered wrong to have these HKs but at least you worked for your wrong doings rather than blatently doing something wrong.
Well yea but no Dark... in Korea I could go to a Legit store and buy PS1 games for 5 bucks buy DC games for 7 dollars and PS2 for 10 bucks. I got a piece of paper showing my purchase. But is that legit I was buying burned DC games. I used to justify my purchases because I couldn't get the games thru the BX (Wal-mart for the Air Force) but once I came to Okinawa and got a credit card I stopped buying them.

Look I had to come to terms that my buying burnt copied of games that I could purchase legally was hurting the business I love so much. Now guess what I am willing to buy burnt games again though... what you say your going back on what you just said... No I am saying that I would buy copied games like I buy HKDVD's. Example

Shemue the first game came put to the 3 major gaming area's Japan, The US, & Europe. But the second edition only came out in Europe & Japan. American release came on the X-box. Now I want to play the DC version but to find a copy of the game is almost impossible with out paying a fortune. So if I were offered a Burnt copied yea I would take it.

Maybe I am a hypocrite... I don't know... I am just seeing if others have the same dilemma I do
But morg here is the question would they of bought all those games if they couldn't copy them.. No probably not.. So you can never calculate revenue lost by just how many games they have.. because they would never of bought all of them.. So it always hard to tell.. and works is many other ways.. Its all about your own opinions.. ;o)
Exactly Schultz. If you want to buy em, then buy em. If not, then don't.
I used to buy copied DC game because I could get ahold of so many at such a good price. DC was a bit too easy to play copied games on...the systems now are kinda hard to mod, so I can't do that (I'm not sure if I would or not given the choice).

Now I just buy games online that are used for dirt cheap prices, so I doubt my money is supporting the videogame companies that much now either...I hardly ever spend $49.99 for a game anymore, unless it is a MUST have.
I have to agree with a lot of points made here.
With regards to the lost revenue, it's true that Sony isn't out $1200 but it is out the $50 that would have been spent on an R1 release of one of those games.
Same goes with HK DVDs. For every hundred dollars spent on HK releases, there is another $100 not in the economy for legitimate purchases.

That said, I would never spend the $179 (Canadian) for the Evangelion boxed set whether or not the HK DVDs were available. I do make it a point to buy the R1 releases of movies and TV shows that are available at reasonable rates. In particular, I made a point of buying all the Miyazaki movies that were recently released on DVD because I would like to see him get some portion of the proceeds and I would love to see more people get a chance to see future releases of his.

On a positive note here in Canada, Universal Records (one of the largest distributors of music) has announced major price drops for all of its music in response to people believing CDs are over priced. Prices will be Cn$14.99 for the hot stars and Cn$9.99 for everyone else. I see this as a smart move by Universal and I hope that the buying public agrees with me.

The trend in anime DVDs has been lower prices lately as well. I'm seeing lots of discs selling for well under Cn$30 and with some creative packaging as well (I love my Speed Racer DVD with the tire tread cover that was only Cn$16.99).

The only times that I wholly encourage buying bootlegs of anything is when it isn't being distributed in North America. This applies to DVDs, video games, and music.
To tell the truth it basicly is all just as wrong as the other in a leagal standpoint. Most of the HKDVDs even subs are ripped copywrited material. That makes it pirating. But truth to tell it's really not hurting anyone unless your buying HKDVDs that are available in R1 DVDS, same thing goes for PS2, GC, XBox, and GBA games. Games like the DC, Saturn, Turbo Duo, NGCD, Sega CD, and Saturn though aren't hurting anyone since they are all dead systems.