Import Anime Forums

Full Version: You guys ever watch the old Max Fleischer Superman Episodes ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that this site is dedicated to mostly Japanese Animation, and I love it to, but- I saw about 10 years ago a animated cartoon called Gullivers Travels and I flipped-- at that time I only though Disney put that kind of stuff out- but who was this Max Fleischer ? He's-thebrains behind Popeye and a few other older American Cartoons. I stumbled across a two disc set of Superman cartoons that are fantastic- at 5.88 for both its easy to get excited ( at Walmart ) There really neat, some WW2 Stuff and Sci fi etc. Check it out and let me know of any other older US animation thats out there Big Grin Puzzleguy
Yes the ol' "technicolour" Superman toons were REMAKABLY well animated! I can't beleive how many frames of animation there are per second in there. Betty Boop was well animated too. If you want to see it for at least that you should check out any cartoons before the late 70's. Like the old Tom & Jery stuff is classic and Warnerbro's stuff too.
The old Max Fleischer cartoons are great. I have one of those Superman dvds, it was great to see these classic cartoons that I remember from when I was a kid.
Walmart you say???

Darn, I must be looking in the wrong Walmarts. Smile The only animation DVDs I've been able to fish out of those "Treasure Bins" is a few 2-in-1 Beauty and the Beast/Cinderella discs that appear to be made on-the-cheap in like '99. Puerile garbage. Maybe I can dig a bit deeper next time, but I wonder if I'll have to check other locations.

The one episode that sticks out most clearly in my recollection is the Jungle Temple one where, I think, Superman rescues a girl (Lois?) from some troublesome natives. Those old technicolor cartoons are so stylistic and bold. I seem to remember lots of flashes or explosions. Kinda Fritz Lang-y if u ask me. Also, Gulliver's Travels was awesome. I watched it until the tape broke. Smile