Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Difference btw FX and MAC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Questions: What's the difference btw FX and Mac's movies in terms of the quality? Is there a big difference in pictures, audio and subtitles? My friend gave me an Angel Links(FX) set. The subtitles are kind of horrible, imagine thick joining black letterings with thin white lining on black background most of the time. I can't complain about the audio and picture.
I am just wondering if MAC has as good audio and picture as FX? Thanks for the help!
Each studio and release is different. FX is usually fantastic, but can be bad in terms of video.

One MAC set might be perfect, another might be crap. Titles change in quality.
Quote:Originally posted by dvd_master
Each studio and release is different. FX is usually fantastic, but can be bad in terms of video.

One MAC set might be perfect, another might be crap. Titles change in quality.

So generally FX is usually better than MAC? Like you've said, one set of MAC could be perfect and another crap. This site sells mainly MAC and others but not FX. So the reviews on those movies are MAC movies right?
I think so, but don't hold me to that...I've never bought anything off the site, but I've read the reviews for the shows they're selling. I believe that their reviews are MAC related.
This site has reviews for all studios, there's a logo beside the review saying which set the review is for.

FX is generally better, I don't know why IA only sells MAC and AS, but I'm sure there's a reason. FX does have a record of the best releases, so they're generally the safest to try.
Hi! Thanks for all the replies....well, dunno whether should I say this but try to stay away from AS. I've just bought Demon Fighter-Kocho and Spring and Chaos. Dohzzz....the movies jumped like crazy. Gave me crossed-eyes and a big headache. Didn't make it through more than 10 minutes. The subtitles are ok just that at times it goes 3-5 seconds faster than what is being said.
Had seen 2 MAC movies today, so far so good. FX still looks the clearest though.
Thanks again!
One good thing about MAC is that they have sets that are direct copies of FX sets therefore the quality is exactly the same and MAC is always cheaper than Fx. I know Bebop TV, Fushigi Yuugi, Love Hina, Trigun and Outlaw Star MAC are just direct copies of Fx stuff, there are probably more sets also

MAC usually has better video but some of their sets had some missing subs problems but it seems they are behind that now. With MAC I would alwas check the reviews first just to make sure you won't get any nasty surprises
I think this thread has gone a bit far fetched. Here's what I've noticed from Mac/AS. They are by far the cheapest of all the HK DVDs. The thing about them, is to stay cheap quality control goes down a bit. So some sets aren't done well. With that said, some sets are fantastic. An example would be the DBZ sets. First of all, the movies box is superb, but they made a blunder where they hardcoded the subtitles onto the video. However, just about all the rest are perfect. Earlier Mac sets had a problem with missing subtitles. That was the extent of the damage. As for AS, the same thing occurs. WHere they will have an absolutely perfect release like Iria, Tylor and Blue Sub #6, they will release something that is utter crap, like GUndam W and FoTNS movie. As for FX, they rip directly from R1 sources. The problem that occured with FX was that their sets suffered from bad video quality back in the day. Cowboy Bebop was the largest offender, then they got better, but sets like Outlaw Star and Ranma 1/2 part 1 still had some iffy video. Subtitles are sometimes bad, like in their trigun set, they screwed up some thing (not sure exactly). If they don't rip from an R1 source, their subs also kinda stink (as seen by their hentai release, and another R2 set or 2). The point I'm trying to make, is that you need to look at each set on a set by set basis. You can't just make a broad sweeping generalization about each company. MI and AV both have their stunningly good sets, and their jaw-dropping bad sets. So, if you want a series, look at what is available, and gauge what you want based on the pickings.
That's what sites like these are for. Whatever you are interested in just check the reviews for it and find out if it's good for yourself. This site has been an invaluble source for me in deciding which series from which studios to buy. No one does everything perfect.
Hey thanks for all the help. Just that I got couple of jaw-breaking experiences with the imports dvd. Dude, you won't believe the quality of those I received. I couldn't return them too. Hehehe...overall, i really do wish that these Asian companies would improve the standard of the anime. I'm dead broke from buying all those original R1s movies and sets and is looking for cheaper alternatives without compromising too much. Big Grin
I think most of us WOULD believe the quality as I'm sure most people probably had bought 1 or 2 bad sets before discovering IA and AN.I've since gotten rid of all but 2 of my really bad sets (1 because nobody wants it, 1 because I overly my own subtitles on it, and I don't want to scour the web looking for another version). The thing about HK dvds is you can't make sweeping remarks about each studio.
Hello. May I ask what "AN" stands for? Thank you

Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
I think most of us WOULD believe the quality as I'm sure most people probably had bought 1 or 2 bad sets before discovering IA and AN.I've since gotten rid of all but 2 of my really bad sets (1 because nobody wants it, 1 because I overly my own subtitles on it, and I don't want to scour the web looking for another version). The thing about HK dvds is you can't make sweeping remarks about each studio.
Quote:Originally posted by dmac
Hello. May I ask what "AN" stands for? Thank you

ArcticNightfall
Thank you, Su-sama...

Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
ArcticNightfall