Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Most under rated console of all time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wanted to know what you guys thought was the most under rated console of all time was. In my humble opinion it would have to be the Sega Saturn. The system had so many kick ass 2D games in a time when you were not cool unless you liked 3D games and it was the ultimate 2D machine pushing a big 6MB of Ram. With classic games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Groove on Fight, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Radiant Silver gun, and of course any other 2D fighter looked and played better on the Saturn. I was sad to see it go but I still play mine all the time along with my turbo graphix 16 and Sega Cd. I would include the Neo Geo and Dreamcast, but games are still coming out in Japan so they are still kicking. Well just let me know what you guys think.
I would say Neo Geo.
I have to disagree with the Neo Geo being under rated.
Everybody I know who was aware of the system agrees that the Neo Geo is one of the coolest home systems ever made.
Unfortunately, you had to be stinkin' rich to get the system and the game cartriges cost enough to feed a small nation.

The Saturn is another system that got the short end of the stick. Unfortunately, I never got much chance to play it so I dont' feel qualified to comment on its greatness.

The one system I invested a lot of money into and was sad to see it go was the Turbo Duo. Again, this system only did 2d games but the graphics and sound were amazing. Especially on the CD based games. My all time favourite game was Bomberman '93 (or was it '94?) that was imported from Japan. Unfortunately, it's games that make the system and the game supply dried up for this great system in short order.

One really odd thing is that the Turbo Duo played graphic enhanced CDs. It's the only system I've seen that does this. If you don't know what I'm talking about, get a copy of Lou Reed's New York cd and play it on a Turbo Duo (the CD is going to be easier to find than the system). While the CD is playing, you get graphics and song lyrics on your TV screen from the album. Lots of pictures of the band playing and stuff from a photo shoot.

I haven't even been able to get my computer to play those graphics.
Just weird.
I'd have to say that Neo Geo did have one thing that was underrated...
The NG Pocket! I have one and am glad to have the 5 or 6 games I do for it. It only lasted like 6 months here in the states but it's still kicking strong in Japan.
I had one of those too and thought the NG Pocket absolutely rocked. I prefer that to any of the Nintendo offerings as far as the feel of it and the quality of the screen goes.

It's a shame there were so few games for it worth playing.
The Metal Slug game alone makes the system worth it though.
Then there's the fighting games... such sweetness in a handheld. Too bad nobody else makes a clicky little joystick like that for their controller.
I really liked the crk crk crk crk crk noise it made.Big Grin
Thank God for emulators otherwise I would not have enjoyed the cool games that did not make it on the stateside for the Neo Geo pocket.
Dreamcast was underrated. It had some really decent games [especially the 2D fighters] and great 1st Party support [as well as a few major 3rd parties backing it]. What probably brought the system down was the time of its release and the fact that it had virtually no protection against Pirating.

Neo Geo, I felt, deserved what it got. Both Neo Geo systems were outrageously overpriced, with virtually no support from 3rd Parties. SNK barely had a handful of decent games out of all the crap they put out. The system was doomed to failare when it came out.
I agree that the console systems were both over priced by Neo Geo. They claim they used the same coding as the arcade games they developed and they didn't want to undercut the arcades by too much.

The NG pocket was priced the same as the GameBoy Color when that came out even though the GB had an inferior processor, display, and control. If only it had been marketed better and had more games developed for it.

I always wanted to get a room full of people with NG Pockets together with the submarine game and the radio links. The fact that you could have 48 people all playing the same game at the same time on handhelds just blew me away.

Too bad it never happened for me. I owned the only NG Pocket I ever saw in person not in the store.
I would have to say the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. Sega Saturn has some of the coolest 2-D fighting games that unfortunately never made it made it to the US...unless you imported them. Big Grin

Dreamcast was like a 2-D fighters dream machine...lol. :p I agree with Megajo about the pirating. I think expectations for the PS2 also brought Dreamcast to an early end also.
Yeah I still can't beleive that games come out in Japan for the Dreamcast, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Snk Vs. Capcom is ported to the dreamcast, I dread playing 2d fighters with that attrotious Ps2 controller, Thank God for the Saturn Pad adaptor.
Here are my two cents...

First the Neo Geo unlike a few other dead systems still has life...
It did exactly what no other system could take the Arcade home...

But the most underated system is the Sega Saturn... just look at
Castlevania: SOTN it was so much better than the PSOne version
hell you even got an extra playable person
Quote:Originally posted by evilomar
Thank God for the Saturn Pad adaptor.

where!? :eek:
They only had it for the dreamcast and PSone but I think they are still working on the one for the PS2
Quote:But the most underated system is the Sega Saturn... just look at Castlevania: SOTN it was so much better than the PSOne version
hell you even got an extra playable person

Actually, the saturn verson of SOTN was slightly downgraded graphically, and there were some very annoying slowdown problems in the game. Maria was a cool addition though, but not nearly as fun to play as Alucard....
Pages: 1 2