Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anyone recommend Anime?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What kind of anime would u recommend (that is appropriate for family levels)? My bro, sis, and I love to watch inuyasha and ranma 1/2. I love kenshin too. So any series....? Plz give me some names along with a short description of the series itself. Big Grin
It all depends on what you like or how old you are as well. I'm sure anyone here is going to recommend you the basics Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc etc so I will recommend you stuff I've enjoyed in my time watching anime that some people may or maynot bring up.

Ursei yatsura is another series by Rumiko Takahashi and you are already familiar with her work, its a comedy about an alien that loses a race and is falls in love with her human competitor. The animation is outdated but still kicks butt. Maison Ikkoku probably the greatest love story in anime ever told, Oh my goddess is about a poor loser who accidently dials up a Goddess line and wishes for the hot goddess to stay with him.
Robotech is a classic of course, now there are constant battles as to which one you will have to watch Macross the original or Robotech, but Robotech was a phenomenal series you have to check out. Lots of Mech action, love story and anything you can throw in a 36 episode series. Of course the original Gundam series was great but I don't know if that is available here yet as a complete set. Yamato (Starblazers) is a cult classic and when you watch all the episodes you will see why.
Windaria is a movie about a love story kind of like Romeo and juliet in a alternate time line. Now and Then, Here and There was probably one the finest pieces of work I've seen in a long time, its a sci-fi story about a boy who goes into an alternative dark future.
Ninja scroll is usually recommended but I will also throw in Dagger of Kamui both are movies about well Ninjas and set in feudal Japan. Golen Boy and Dragon Half are probably the funniest animes I have seen to this date. Excell saga was funny too.
Now lets get to the good stuff that I am sure the good people here will explain in greater detail when they post what they suggest. Evangelion, Trigun, Berserk, Noir, Hellsing, Dark City, Fist of the Northstar, Vampire Hunter D. There are countless other titles that will hook you too but like I said it is up to you what you like and don't like.
Quote:Originally posted by evilomar
Now lets get to the good stuff that I am sure the good people here will explain in greater detail when they post what they suggest. Evangelion, Trigun, Berserk, Noir, Hellsing, Dark City, Fist of the Northstar, Vampire Hunter D. There are countless other titles that will hook you too but like I said it is up to you what you like and don't like.

He said "appropriate for family." I don't know about you, but Hellsing, Evangelion, and Berserk are not shows I'd want younger kids to watch.
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
He said "appropriate for family." I don't know about you, but Hellsing, Evangelion, and Berserk are not shows I'd want younger kids to watch.

I know that is why i stated at the top that it depends on their age group, I grew up watching stuff like that where I am fromand my ass never shot up my school, or for that matter anyone except maybe my ex wife but she aint telling nobody. That was a joke.....
http://arcticnightfall.com/boards/showth...adid=11791

This has a bunch of good recomendations for children.
Ghibli movies are a must. Other recommends: Macross, G Gundam, Tenchi Muyo, Giant Robo, and Transformers.
Her's a list of some for you. And if you click on the title, you can get more detail about each one.

http://www.animeondvd.com/discdata/essential/index.php
For a TV series that's good for the family I would recommend Nadesico. Easily one of my top favorite series and it's completely family appropriate.

It's a comedy/drama about a crew of a certain space battleship involved in a war between Earth and a mysterious alien race. Lots of comedy and also serious with a good storyline at the same time.

Ah! My Goddess OVA like mentioned before is also a very good family appropriate short romantic comedy series. The movie is also very good with more seriousness to it, watch it after the OVA if you do see it.
Princess Mononoke, Lupin III..Yeah, anything by Miyazaki.
And if you're parents aren't anal, and the kids involved are about 15 or so, Evangelion as well.
If your brother and sister are still young and like cute movies, I would recommend Adventures of the Mini Goddess. Well, it's part of the series of Oh! My Goddess. However, this is much more suited for younger audience coz there is no gore or inappropriate languages and nudity. Just plain fun with the 3 goddess who shrank themselves and their pet rat.
As above, anything Miyazaki is magnificent. His animations have good music and storylines.
If the kids are older, watch Rurouni Kenshin (not the ones on Cartoon Network) and Samurai X OVAs. Great characters, funny and great fight scenes.
Vampire Princess Miyu, dark, tragic. Well, you'll enjoy it.
Scrapped Princess and Last Exile, excellent series, I sure people who have seen them will agree. You can download them off the bittorent free. I would recommend the ani kraze versions for both, they are much better than other groups doing the series.
Kids seem to love Detective Conan in Japan. While it does deal with murder, it's always justified and never happens to children. I say the show is excellent, and I bet they'd like it.
Gear Fighter Dendoh is a definite. Try the Getta Robo TV set as well (old-school giant robot shows are always a must). Another great series you should try is CONAN, Boy of the Future. Everyone is recommending Miyazaki and this is one of his best.
If you liked Kenshin, you might like Fushigi Yuugi. It's in a bit of the same demi-historical vein, though the genre is magical girl. The demi-historical part is the Three Kingdoms period of China, and I thought the visuals had a lot of the same flavor. The plot has a good bit in common with InuYasha. Girl gets sucked into magic book, agrees to go on a quest to save a kingdom, acquires friends and a love interest, many obstacles surmounted, true love triumphs, that kind of thing.

If you like the whole spunky-girl-alternate-world-quest thing, try Escaflowne. It isn't a hugely complex plot, but there's a lot of introspection about fate and human will and that. Mecha *and* magic. Lovely visuals, great music.

Of the two popular "space westerns" I would say yes for Trigun and maybe no for Cowboy Bebop. Trigun is straightforward. Bebop is not; it's also depressing as all get out if you're in the wrong mood. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, and if you especially liked the Kyoto arc of Kenshin, well go ahead and try it. But it's not light reading.

If you want something light, hit Outlaw Star, a space western which has action and space ships plus the occasional romance and comic relief. Pretty basic quest for the energy-grail by romantic outlaws plot.

Actually, that reminds me, try Tenchi Muyo. Personally, I'm most fond of Tenchi Muyo Universe, but Tenchi in Tokyo seems to have a stronger romantic thread. It's all romantic comedy; the basic idea is normal teenage boy landed upon by female interstellar houseguests all of whom seem to fall madly in love with him. Diverse alarums ensue. Bears some similarities to Ranma.

When you've got more anime under your belt, you might check out the Excel Saga; it's basically a parody of all anime types. It's hysterically funny if you're tuned in to Japanese culture, but won't make a lot of sense if you're not.