Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Ranma 1/2 DVDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Long time import fan, first time import poster here. I don't have the patience to wait 5 or 6 years for Viz maybe to finish Ranma 1/2, and since my Japanese isn't that good that means I need halfway decent subtitles. I've seen 2 sets on eBay with English subs, one is the 18 disc MAC set and the other is 22, although I don't know who made the 22 disc set. Does anyone know if the subs on either of these sets are decent? I don't need perfection, a few untranslated lines per episode and typos are fine, so long as it isn't serious Engrish. Or at least better than Hecto fansubs, for people who've been around long enough to remember those monstrositiesBig Grin Both sets sell for about $120 shipped on eBay, so if anyone knows a cheaper place to get them it would be appreciated as well.
I'm very impressed with the fx sets myself. Straight rips from the Viz DVDs, so you get a real subtitle script plus the dub if that interests you. Seasons 1-6 are out, and 7 is just a matter of time since Viz only has one more volume to put out and their seemingly eternal milking of this franchse is complete. These sets are a little more expensive, but you get what you paid for.
I can vouch for FX/Mac up to season 4 and I'll be buying the latest FX set rather shortly. I'd say buy seasons 1-6 from FX or Mac (I'm sure they'll follow up and rip FX's release very shortly) and then wait for season 7.. No sense in not getting a perfect version of the series since it's out there.
Quote:Originally posted by Tradewynd
Long time import fan, first time import poster here. I don't have the patience to wait 5 or 6 years for Viz maybe to finish Ranma 1/2

R1 Season 6 is out in September, which probably means Season 7 will be released around end of Jan/Feb 2004.

I'd say take Shibo's advice and follow the 'perfect' route.
Technically, they've already released all but the last disc in season 7 also. They just haven't put them together in a boxset. They are available though.
Quote:Originally posted by Vicious
Technically, they've already released all but the last disc in season 7 also. They just haven't put them together in a boxset. They are available though.

You're quite right. I only talk about Ranma in boxsets. I should have been more specific.
FX just recently released box set 3 in their collection which i think takes you all the way to episode 130 but I'm not quite sure.
Well if you are looking for perfect sets VIZ has all but finished the entier series... And you can get Seasons 1 thru 5 in box sets for under 100 bucks each... the FX sets are great and and as Shibo pointed out Mac will rip them sooner or later...
Quote:Originally posted by evilomar
FX just recently released box set 3 in their collection which i think takes you all the way to episode 130 but I'm not quite sure.

136. Only leaving Season 7 and the OAVs/Movies.
Okay, so theres 7 Seasons. What about the movies? Or am I mistaken and those are the OAVs? And also, how many eps is Ranma anyway?
Quote:Originally posted by NVash
Okay, so theres 7 Seasons. What about the movies? Or am I mistaken and those are the OAVs? And also, how many eps is Ranma anyway?

TV - 161

OAV - 12

Movie - 2

Assorted J POP/Music Video/ Seiyuu fun romps on import. Smile
Yes Viz has released
1-5 Boxsets
Season 6 Individual Discs
Season 7 Individual Disc (except last 1)
They have also released the oav's and 2 movies.. So its basically all done except for making boxset 6 and 7..

and i can't belive i have them all except for last 2 season 7 discs..
TECHNICALLY, Ranma runs 161 TV episodes, 11 OAVs and 3 movies. Viz packaged the third movie as an OAV episode because no one over here would buy the concept of a 30 minute movie, let alone pay almost a dollar/minute for it. So the third movie(Team Ranma vs. The Golden Phoenix) was packaged as an OAV episode over here. I'd sure be pissed if I bought an $18 movie ticket to see it in Japan and the movie wa only half an hour long. Oh good god, there would be hell to pay. :-)
Quote:So the third movie(Team Ranma vs. The Golden Phoenix) was packaged as an OAV episode over here. I'd sure be pissed if I bought an $18 movie ticket to see it in Japan and the movie wa only half an hour long. Oh good god, there would be hell to pay. :-)

Sorta if you have ever seen the Power Puff Girl movie in the theaters you know it was opened with a 9 minute Dextors Labatory mini movie. Same with Ranma it came prepackaged with another anime movie it was a way to sucker in fans of ranma into watching the other movie plus if I remeber right the anime was only 92 minutes long so it also eat up some time and made you feel like you got your money's worth... SO yea you would have paid 18 dollars to see the Ranma but you would have also seen the other anime... now if I could juts remeber the name of that movie... Shibo any help here
Yeah I know, but let's face it, you're REALLY there to see Ranma, which is where all 18 of those dollars are going in my bookBig Grin Now that you mention it I can't think of what movie it was packaged with, but I do know that I have an old VHS copy of it laying around somewhere because it was packaged with Ranma. Don't think I ever got around to watching it though. Now I'm curious to find out what it is.
Pages: 1 2