Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Has anyone ordered a dvd from here to the uk and had to pay customs tax?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its just that i have read a lot of posts at other forums from people in the uk saying that when they ordered dvds from another country, they got taxed at customs.

Thanks in advance for any repies.
I bought a couple of times from UK. However, out of the 6 times, only 3 times I got taxed. I guess it's the way the seller declared the items. The 2 times I got taxed were when the seller declared them as merchandise and whatever value they were worthed. The last time I was taxed was because the total value of the merchandise was more than US$200. Hope this helps.
get the seller to put it as a gift
The taxable amount is about £36. Theoretically they add in shipping as taxable too. Small packages will escape more easily but are not immune.

If you have a ridiculous amount declared on a package and they open to check then you can expect a call or a letter. A lower but still realistic declaration is advisable.

Stuff from USA seems to get hit more often than stuff from Asia. If there is no value on a package they may contact you or just estimate a value.

Alot of the times i look at packages i get taxed on the tax i pay is about 50% of the declared value. Sad But then sometimes a huge one will slip past. Big Grin